Also included in
- This bundle contains five immersive lesson plans plus an eventual engineering bonus pack aligned to the Next Generation Science Standard for first grade. Each lesson plan includes complete lesson plan instructions, interactive PowerPoint presentations, corresponding e-learning activity, labs, worksh$42.36$52.95Save $10.59
- This is my combo-pack for my popular Sound Wave Cove and Light Wave Point NGSS science units! Buy the combo pack and save on six weeks of science lesson plans! Or, purchase the complete NGSS 1 Bundle for more units and savings!! RELATED RESOURCE: • NGSS Grade 1 Bundle: Complete STEM Curriculum L$21.60$24.00Save $2.40
- This bundle is my best value for NGSS first grade. It contains an five immersive lesson plans aligned to the Next Generation Science Standard for first grade--plus all eight of my Biomimicry Discovery Cards (48 cards/8 biomes).ABOUT THE BIOMIMICRY DISCOVERY CARD KIT EXPANSION:Expand Trait Mountain$64.76$80.95Save $16.19
Explore Sound Wave Cove and discover the science behind sound using this three-week unit!
Three weeks’ worth of lesson plans are aligned to the first-grade Next Generation Science Standards for sound waves and are appropriate for K-3.
View demo (with intro screens only) here.
♫ Lesson One: Making Sound
Through class presentations, interactive multimedia explorers and hands-on labs, students will discover how each group of instruments on the cove's Instrument Island make sound and will create their own instruments.
Students will explore the noises of Sound Wave Cove through a CCSS-aligned group research paper. From dolphins, seagulls, crabs and seals to foghorns, wind and waves, students will learn how each topic makes its unique sounds, present their findings to the class and display them on the Sound Wave Cove class bulletin board.
A Beach Jam party caps off this lesson where students can play instruments, present learning to parents, and discover the Conch Shell Mystery Explorer to uncover why conch shells sound like the ocean.
♫ Lesson Two: Sound Moves Things
Not only is sound made by vibrations, but sound vibrates matter. Students will discover the classical Chladni plate experiment that demonstrates this principle and conduct a series of hands-on labs to discover how sound waves vibrate solids, liquids and gasses.
Students cap off this lesson with an art-science project depicting and writing about their Chladni plate observations.
♫ Lesson Three: Using Sound
People use technology to build useful sound communication tools. From ancient talking drums to the telegraph, telephone, phonographs and radio--sound technology is always developing.
Students will engineer their own sound technology solution to send messages in Sound Wave Cove.
They will then discover cutting-edge acoustic levitation research to discover how sound technology continues to advance and write about it at a grade-appropriate level.
Lesson plans combine a series of:
• engaging hands-on activities
• observation labs
• writing exercises
• art and engineering projects
• computer interactives
Click the included link or scan the included QR code to run the online version. Or unzip the provided files to run the course locally (some screens don't function fully on the local version). This course is versatile enough to be used:
• On any computer with a classroom projector
• With a smart whiteboard (or interactive flipchart)
• On a PC in a homeschool setting
This is an excellent way to incorporate sound science into your lesson plans!
ALSO INCLUDED IN:
★ Follow me! Click the star (★) beneath my STEM Roots store name above to be the first to know about freebies, new product listings and more!
All projects are aligned to Common Core State Standards (CCSS) and Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS). See preview file for lesson overview and standards alignment.
Keywords: beach, tropical, ocean, cove, sound, wave, collaborate, collaborative, multisensory, vibration, acoustic levitation, dolphin, seal, crab, wave, wind, seagull, foghorn, Chladni plate, shell, resonance, vibrate, soundwave, resonance, NGSS 1-PS4-1, NGSS 1.PS4.1, NGSS 1-PS4-4, NGSS 1.PS4.4, NGSS K-2-ETS1-1, NGSS K-2-ETS1-2, NGSS K-2, ETS1.1, NGSS K-2-ETS1-2.