With the fascination of tornadoes, it's hard to get kids away from the story. I add to that interest by using tornado precautions drawn from The Weather Channel web site; integrating them into the study questions and some teacher notes. TWC is credited and students may access their site for the complete text. I include questions students may answer regarding how well the characters in the novel follow TWC advice.
Included are -
- study and reading comprehension questions for every chapter Answers Included,
- a graphic organizer for the actual night of the twister in the novel,
- two puzzles.
- a group project for analyzing the effects of a main character's age and his attitude on a story's plot, which includes evaluating the main character from the students' own perspective.
- a basic two page novel test WITH ANSWER KEY,
- a detailed two page matrix for an essay about theme, which aids in gathering ideas, organizing those ideas, and arranging them into a fluent essay.
The questions are in TWO formats: the first would require the students to use their own paper for written answers, saving on copier paper for you. The second has room for student responses on the question handouts themselves. Both have the identical questions.
Each chapter has questions that would allow for either constructed responses, class or group discussions, seat work, or homework.
See Preview for more details.
Common Core of State Standards - ELA 6,7,8
included in this unit:
RL 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 9 I have included my check list for RL standards.
RI 1, 2, 3, 4
W 1, 4, 5