NIGHT - This Novel Guide for Elie Wiesel’s Night will keep students thinking and enhance their understanding from the first page of the novel to the last. Common Core-aligned response pages, web quest, vocabulary, and theme essay.
Included in this resource:
1. SECTION-BY-SECTION RESPONSE PAGES – The Response Pages contain questions and prompts in varied formats that reflect Common Core skills such as citing text details and evidence, making inferences, analyzing figurative language, author’s tone, characters’ points of view, analyzing dialogue and important passages. Students enjoy working on these pages with a partner or in small groups—they are a great way to get students discussing the novel. (12 pages)
2. VOCABULARY STUDY – Twenty vocabulary words from the novels are presented, five per page, with definitions provided. Students study the definitions, and then sentences are given with context clues. Students write the correct word in the appropriate sentence and then choose two words from that page to illustrate meanings. (4 pages)
3. PRE-READING WEB QUEST – Students engage in a short research assignment by using two web sites (given) to view pictures and read background information about the concentration camps Elie Wiesel was sent to. Students take notes on the Web Quest pages and also provide reflection. (2 pages)
4. “THEMES” ESSAY ASSIGNMENT – This end-of-the-novel writing assignment engages students with various themes from Night, allows for choice, includes a graphic organizer for pre-writing, and focuses on the development of theme with an emphasis on text-based evidence, a Common Core standard. For differentiation, I have included two versions of this essay assignment. One version requires three body paragraphs and the other version requires two body paragraphs. (2 pages)
5. THEMES ESSAY GRADING RUBRIC – A 4-Point Rubric is provided for grading the theme essay. (1 page)
6. TEACHER GUIDELINES and COMMON CORE STANDARDS – Directions and tips are offered for using the materials in this Novel Guide along with a listing of Common Core Standards addressed.
7. ANSWER KEYS – A full answer key is included for the Response Pages and the Web Quest. (14 pages)
NOTE: Since Elie Wiesel now has two versions of his book available for us to teach, I have included the Section-by Section Response Pages and Vocabulary Pages for the NEW TRANSLATION, and also a set to go along with the OLD TRANSLATION. That is why when you download the product, two sets of these resources will be found. (16 extra pages)
The COMMON CORE SKILLS reflected in this product are :
*Citing textual evidence involving characters, setting, and events
*Making inferences from the text
*Analyzing dialogue / what dialogue reveals about character
*Analyzing the development of theme
*Examining author's tone and word choice
*Determining the meaning of new words including figurative and connotative meanings
*Write informative/explanatory texts
*Conduct short research activities
Please download the PREVIEW to have a look at part of the product!
You might also like:
Diary of Anne Frank Play – Student-Ready Complete Packet
Common Core Student Response Pages for Literature - 8th Grade