A unit lesson plan with 6 sessions on teaching and learning resources of noun phrases based on New Bloom's Taxonomy.
After completing this unit students will be able to:
- SESSION 1 - REMEMBERING: Describe the key elements of noun phrases.
- SESSION 2 - UNDERSTANDING: Explain the functions of noun phrases in general sentences.
- SESSION 3 - APPLYING: Compare and contrast nouns and noun phrases.
- SESSION 4 - ANALYSING: Deconstruct the functions of noun phrases in specific sentences.
- SESSION 5 - EVALUATING: Assess and evaluate the use of noun phrases in writing.
- SESSION 6 - CREATING: Create new sentence patterns with noun phrases.
This download includes:
- VIDEO – Noun Phrase
- Scaffolding Notes 1: Vocabulary Overview
SESSION 1: REMEMBERING
- EXERCISE 1: List the components of noun phrases and give examples.
- Scaffolding Notes 2: Components of Noun Phrases
SESSION 2: UNDERSTANDING
- EXERCISE 2: Classify noun phrases based on their functions and give examples.
- Scaffolding Notes 3: Classification of Noun Phrases
SESSION 3: APPLYING
- EXERCISE 3: Name the given nouns and convert them to noun phrases that are equivalent to them.
SESSION 4: ANALYSING
- EXERCISE 4: Determine the pattern or the structure of noun phrases.
- Scaffolding Notes 4: Structure of Noun Phrases
SESSION 5: EVALUATING
- EXERCISE 5: Identify the misplaced and dangling modifiers then suggest corrections.
- Scaffolding Notes 5: Misplaced and Dangling Modifiers.
- EXERCISE 6: Place phrases within a sentence, recognizing and correcting misplaced and dangling modifiers – 1.
- EXERCISE 7: Place phrases within a sentence, recognizing and correcting misplaced and dangling modifiers – 2.
SESSION 6: CREATING
- EXERCISE 8: Use noun phrases to convey specific meanings and add variety and interest to writing.
- EXERCISE 9: · Demonstrate the mastery of using noun phrases in writing. Focus on components, functions, meaning, structure and meaning as suggested by the rubrics.
- Scaffolding Notes 6: Noun Phrase Rubrics
- EXERCISE 10: Explain the organization of noun phrases in sentence patterns.
- EXERCISE 11: Use noun phrases as subjects, direct and indirect objects, objects of prepositions, predicate nominatives and object complements.
- EXERCISE 12: Examine and discover the placement of noun phrases in sentences.
- EXERCISE 13: Answer the given questions to demonstrate command of the conventions of noun phrases.
- EXERCISE 14: Identify the functions of noun phrases as used in the sentences.
- EXERCISE 15: Answer the following questions to test your knowledge of noun phrases.
- EXERCISE 16: Answer the following questions to test your knowledge of the functions of the noun phrases.
- EXERCISE 17: Answer the given questions to demonstrate command of the conventions of noun phrases.
- EXERCISE 18: Noun phrase quiz.
- EXERCISE 19: Identify the structure of noun phrases and determine whether they are pre-modifiers or post-modifiers:
- EXERCISE 20: Identify the noun phrases and say whether they act as subjects or objects.
Here are some possible uses for these in your classroom:
- To challenge early finishers
- For effective tutoring
- As ESL stations and sub tubs
- As holiday work and homework
- For small group collaborations
- For an end of unit assessments
- For reinforcement and enrichment
Customer Tips: How to get TPT credit to use for future purchases
- Follow me HERE to get notified of updates, sales, free resources and new products.
- Please go to your My Purchases page (you may need to LOG IN). Beside each purchase, you'll see a Provide Feedback button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product.
- Each time you give feedback, TPT gives you feedback credits that you use to lower the cost of your future purchases.
- I value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom so I can create more for you.
- Look for the green star next to my store logo and click it to become a FOLLOWER. You will now receive email updates about this store. Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches.
This is what teachers say about these resources:
- SIMPLE SENTENCE: BUNDLE - Great addition to our grammar units! - Notes From 207
- DIALOGUE WRITING: READY TO USE LESSON PRESENTATION - Another wonderful resource! - Alyssa Foltz
- VERBAL PHRASES: TEACHING AND LEARNING RESOURCES - BUNDLE - Thank you for providing such detailed lesson plans and practice. - Elizabeth Green
- COMPOUND WORDS: BUNDLE - Nothing fancy but gets the job done. - Good to Great Teaching
- REPORT WRITING: LESSON PLAN AND RESOURCES - The crime report was a great exercise to help begin our unit on report writing! - Andrea Blewitt
- PARAGRAPH WRITING - CLASSROOM RESOURCES - BUNDLE: A thorough and informative resource. I found it a bit confusing at times, as there is a lot of information to take in, but I appreciate the variety of colors to separate examples. A very thorough resource that is useful! - Briana Vaskic
- IMAGERY WORKSHEETS WITH ANSWERS - I like these resources a lot. They are very versatile and thorough. - Cindy Hatcher
- SUMMARY WRITING - CLASSROOM RESOURCES - BUNDLE - I adore how organized this guy is! This was a great resource for my 6 and 7-grade students. - Matthew Bourne
- THE WINTER'S TALE - SHAKESPEAREAN TRAGIC-COMEDY - UNIT PLANS AND RESOURCES - Useful, but demanding. - Alan David Pritchard
- ARTICLE WRITING: LESSON AND RESOURCES - Good resource for article writing! - Drew Ritchie
- POETRY ANNOTATION BUNDLE - Plenty of material for the price. - Alice Miller
- CLAUSES LESSONS AND RESOURCES: BUNDLE - Good additional resource for my kiddos. - Jo Pillsbury
- A THING OF BEAUTY BY JOHN KEATS - UNIT PLANS AND RESOURCES - Very thorough resource, although the content is definitely not suitable (very difficult) for below 8th grade. Possibly even better suited for high school. - Maranda Ferguson
- ARGUMENTATIVE WRITING - CLASSROOM RESOURCES - BUNDLE - Very thorough, but not very "kid-friendly". I would recommend using with older students. - Mandi Esparza
- ACTIVE AND PASSIVE VOICE: TEACHING AND LEARNING RESOURCES - Very comprehensive with the practice! - Elizabeth Green.
- SKIMMING SCANNING READING BUNDLE" - Another great tool to use for students to skim and scan material! - Stephanie Zweifel
- PARTS OF SPEECH WORKSHEETS WITH ANSWERS - Lots of great information! - Kathleen Nottleson.
- IMAGERY TYPES BUNDLE - Was way more detailed than I thought it would be. Took a little bit to go through all of it, but a great resource for sure. I will definitely use this as we dig deeper into imagery. - Metasha Olson.
- THE CANTERVILLE GHOST BY OSCAR WILDE: UNIT PLANS - 5 SESSIONS - Has something for all ability levels. - Denise Hickey
- ADVERBIAL PHRASE: BUNDLE - Great, easy-to-use resource! - Gemma Creed
- COMPOUND ADJECTIVES: WORKSHEETS WITH ANSWERS - Easy to use. Plenty of examples and activities. - Nat Mack
- COMIC STRIPS HANDOUTS - Was very helpful in creating comics for our class novels. - Natalie Stewart
- SYNECDOCHE VS METONYMY WORKSHEETS WITH ANSWERS - A great resource to start helping students differentiate between the two terms. - Jodi Howell
- DESCRIPTIVE WRITING: BUNDLE - It helped me create my writing lessons! - Ewelina Pykosz
- THE WIND BY ROBERT LOUIS STEVENSON - UNIT PLANS AND RESOURCES - Useful for enrichment or genre expansion. - MaryLu Washington
- NOTE TAKING BUNDLE: I will be using this to teach notetaking to my ELD kids. - Melinda Stewart
- PARAGRAPH WRITING - 12 WORKSHEETS WITH ANSWERS: Perfect for assisting students in their paragraph and essay writing. - Martin Distelhorst
- THREE QUESTIONS BY LEO TOLSTOY - STORY COMPREHENSION - TASKS AND EXERCISES: Comprehensive and allowed me to choose a variety of activities to go along with the story study. - Alison Ivey
- WRITING BUNDLE-LESSON PLANS: Great resource to always have! Really helped to raise the rigor of my lessons! – Cheri Reynolds
- DIALOGUE WRITING: This was easy to use. It helped my students to review and fix the errors they were making in their writing. –Beth G.
- CAPITALIZATION RULES: The perfect visual to help students remember to use capitalization while writing. – Mary Z.
- ACTIVE VERBS: This is a great resource to include in the binders for future resources. - Patricia O.
- FICTIONAL STORY WRITING: A great resource for students to practice writing during the center. - Jamie S.
- NOUN PHRASES: This product was helpful for my ELD students! – Rae E.
- PLAY-SCRIPT WRITING: Can't wait to use this when I get back. I just love the approach to learning script writing skills. – Kathryn A.
- HOMOPHONES-HOMONYMS-HOMOGRAPHS: Very excited about using this in my intensive reading classes. – Tammye G.
- FIRST-AID: Great resource for first aid presentations. I'll be using this with my class. - Jackie Malley
- COMPOUND-COMPLEX SENTENCES: These task cards were perfect test practice! - Michelle P.
- PUNCTUATION WORKSHEETS: I found a variety of options to be useful,… I have used it to complement the areas of focus in my lessons. - Dianne P.
- SUBJECT-VERB AGREEMENT: I have used this resource several times already. –Jean C.
- OXYMORON: This is great. I can't wait to use it with my ESOL students. - Rebecca D.
- SEVEN AGES OF MAN: This was the perfect use of imagery and words. It helped even my weaker 6th graders understand the message of the poem and complete an activity on their own. - Amy B.
- PREPOSITION TYPES HANDOUT: My students loved this poster. - Patricia O.
- PLAY-SCRIPT PRESENTATION: This looks awesome! I am excited to use it with my advanced theater class this year! - Kimberly R.
- THE HIGHWAYMAN POEM ANALYSIS: AWESOME resource! I highly recommend this product! – Samantha L.
- STORY ANALYSIS HANDOUTS BUNDLE: Looking forward to using this extensively in all levels of my classes. - Olivia Fulmer.
- STORY ANALYSIS LESSONS AND RESOURCES BUNDLE: I'm using this for the English II short story unit. - Olivia Fulmer
- SENTENCES LESSONS AND RESOURCES BUNDLE: Very thorough. These cover all the areas of need for sentence types and structures. - Steelers Fan
- READING COMPREHENSION LESSON PRESENTATION: I love it and can't wait to use it. - Vivian W.
- ADJECTIVE PHRASES WORKSHEETS WITH ANSWERS: Perfect for what I needed. - Laura T.
- DIARY ENTRY FORMAT: Just what I was looking for! - Louisaratcliffe
- HOMOPHONES-HOMONYMS-HOMOGRAPHS BUNDLE: A great resource for my kids to practice!!! - Rebecca Thorman
- PREFIXES AND SUFFIXES BUNDLE: This is a superb resource for review. - Kay Crawford
- COMPARE AND CONTRAST INFORMATION TEXT LESSON: This is a superb resource for review. - Kay Crawford
- TYGER TYGER - POEM LESSONS AND RESOURCES: This is fantastic! I bought it for the Tyger aspect but there is so much more to it than that. I love that it includes clear grading rubrics and so many additional resources - I will be using this for the rest of the year! - Michelle Beauchamp
- THE NECKLACE - PROSE COMPREHENSION: LESSONS & RESOURCES: This is a good resource for this story. I like the way characterization is explained. -Tiffany Beausoleil
- COMPOUND-COMPLEX SENTENCES BUNDLE: It's hard to find a good compound-complex sentence resource. - Carrie Taylor
- SKIMMING SCANNING READING BUNDLE: Good for higher-level classes that run as more discovery learning. - Jamie B.
- AUTOBIOGRAPHY WRITING BUNDLE: A very strategic resource! - A Buyer
- PUNCTUATION WORKSHEETS WITH ANSWERS: The content was great, and I appreciate that all of the advanced punctuation marks were assessed in one place. - Tiffani Rooney
- POSTER DESIGN BUNDLE: It was nice to find a resource that shows students basic guidelines for any poster. - Amber Finch
- PHRASES AND CLAUSES HANDOUTS: BUNDLE - Extremely resourceful and helpful. - Sherine Salaheldin
- NOTE TAKING BUNDLE: Excellent resource! It has been a real help in showing my students how to take notes! - Nancy Bates
- USE OF ARTICLES IN A SENTENCE: LESSON AND RESOURCES: Thanks for doing all of this work. I'll definitely be using this resource! - Shirley Martin
- SPOKEN VS WRITTEN ENGLISH WORKSHEETS AND TASK CARDS: Excellent resource for the price. Saved me tons of time! - Crystal Louden
- WRITING A BIOGRAPHY: LESSON AND RESOURCES: Great lesson overall and very well planned. - Amy Smith
- SENTENCE STRUCTURE - 11 WORKSHEETS WITH ANSWERS: Great resource that can be easily used in the classroom. - Chris Macintosh
- PARAGRAPH WRITING: LESSON AND RESOURCES: Great resource for teaching paragraph and essay writing. - Martin Distelhorst
- FORMAL LETTER WRITING: READY TO USE LESSON PRESENTATION - Very straight forward requires no prep. -Shereecea Hyatt
- WRITING WORKSHEETS AND TASK CARDS BUNDLE - This resource more than delivers! A wide range of very useful, practical and easy to teach writing examples and lesson plans. - Teresa Ruhde
- PREPOSITIONAL PHRASES WORKSHEETS WITH ANSWERS - Great! used as a review and homework assignment. - Darlene Kebede
- SYNECDOCHE VS METONYMY WORKSHEETS WITH ANSWERS - I loved this resource. It really helped my students differentiate between the two terms. - Darci DurdaRomanuik
- PREFIXES AND SUFFIXES: LESSON AND RESOURCES - This is a good resource for small groups and provides resources for struggling students. - Karen Hampton
- CREATIVE WRITING: LESSON AND RESOURCES - Everything you need to start a creative writing class. - Virginia Beatty
- BIOGRAPHY WRITING - READY TO USE LESSON PRESENTATION - This helped me build ideas on how to present in my own classroom. - Robin Ybarra
- O CAPTAIN, MY CAPTAIN BY WALT WHITMAN - TASKS AND EXERCISES - Great resource, students really did well with this. - Lisa Sanchez
- FORMAL LETTER WRITING: LESSON AND RESOURCES - I especially love the diagrams/graphics that allow my students to see the difference in letter-writing styles. - Cool for School
- ARTICLES/DETERMINERS: BUNDLE - A complete resource on articles. It will be helpful for ESL students who struggle with articles. - Karen Koehler
Find Me Here: