Your learners will enjoy the rigor and creativity of our engaging activities built from best teaching practices. We want to make your lesson planning journey easy, so you can focus on your expertise. This novel study includes a curriculum map pacing guide that offers our day-by-day suggestion for how to plan out your weeks of lessons. Our pedagogy section explains the instructive idea behind the activity, gives ideas for implementation, and aligns it to the standards. We've filmed some training videos on (1) how to assemble a Novel Analysis Packet that is unique to the academic needs of your learners and (2) how to effectively use our Quickwrite writing prompts.
To make your digital experience smooth, we include instructions (w/ screenshots!) of how to download and organize your resources in Google Drive and Microsoft OneDrive. We've added Google Forms versions of each activity that auto-corrects their responses using a suggested answer key (which you can adjust afterward or modify your answer key) and compiles grades into a spreadsheet with learners' names and class periods to make things easier for you to grade all in one place (some types of question aren't able to auto-grade, though, because of the short-answer format).
TEXT: NUMBER THE STARS by Lois Lowry
LEVEL: 5th - 9th
TOTAL: 177+ slides/pages in lesson plan unit
Pacing Guide and Answer Keys included
WHAT OTHER TEACHERS ARE SAYING ABOUT THIS LITERATURE UNIT
♥ Everyone of these products are great! All standards addressed and the kids enjoy the work!
♥ This is a wonderful unit. It is going to make to transitioning to my maternity leave seamless, no matter if my sub gets a few days notice (as planned) or a few hours. In the mean time, the unit is comprised of great quality lessons that I will enjoy teaching myself!
♥ This was a perfect novel study. I love that the questions not only helped my daughter review the information from the chapters, but really think about what was happening and the moral issues from the story. Very well done!
LITERATURE PLAN CONTENTS
→ Suggested timeline of how a teacher could plan out the unit
→ Detailed explanations of the goals of each activity and how to conduct the activities
→ Meets Common Core Standards
→ Easy to differentiate for different learning levels: Honors, 2nd language learners, and Sped
- background into what was happening in the world around Annemarie Johansen and her family
- 21-slide slideshow
- The Østerbrogade shopping strip, Hillerød and Nørrebro bombing locations, Amalienborg Castle, and all of AnneMarie's train ride up to visit Uncle Henrik...and many of the 22 locations zoomed in to the 3D street view. It's rockin awesome.
- 22-location 3D tour across Europe
- notetaking tool of what they "K"now, "W"ant to know, & "L"earned
- 1-page analyzer
- analyze the 6 parts of the plot
- 2-slide analyzer
- Students analyze the 6 different types of conflict in stories
- 2-slide analyzer
- analyze the main characters using novel quotes
- 8-slide analyzer
- 1/2 writing assignments to spur much deeper conversational thinking
- We set out to make the most helpful, most compelling, most graphically attractive teaching resource for you to introduce your learners to all the various figurative language. This 70+ slide slideshow will help you introduce how every many you need to teach your level of learners.
- analyze and complete 27 figures of speech specific to the novel
- 4-slide analyzer
- Similes, Metaphors, Idioms, Hyperboles, Analogies, Personification, Onomatopoeia, Puns, Irony
- 60 vocabulary words from the novel
- one 60-question quiz and two 30-question quizzes
- 6-slide Bundle includes list of words, quiz, and answer key
- We've added a Google Forms quiz version that auto-grades for you and compiles grades into a spreadsheet with learners' names and class periods.
- 4 response to literature essay options for students to choose from; optional delivery of essay as a speech
- Includes essay topics and speech grading rubrics
- 11-slide bundle
- read the original fairy tale and compare to Annemarie's journey
- 4-slide activity
★ Video Interview w/ Lois Lowry (→ link)
- 2-minute video
Enjoy! And remember, only the fairy tales remain the same.
WHAT IS CREATED FOR DIGITAL?
★ Our Created for Digital resources take all the trusted, quality instructional tools you know and love and convert them into the digital format you need for your online learners.
Why go Digital?
··· Paperless. No printing.
··· Instant saving ... students work in the file.
··· Technology Proficiency
··· Works on Chromebooks, Android Tablets, and other devices
··· Engaged students
··· Easy group work
··· Paper trail of revisions for teacher to see
··· Teacher Tutorial - access link and how to use this with your learners
··· Microsoft OneDrive user instructions - a step-by-step visual tutorial. This will only take minutes!
··· All slides can be used over and over again.
OTHER NUMBER THE STARS BRAVERY
OUR VAST NOVEL UNIT LIBRARY
→ We've got 35+ more complete novel units for you, ready to save you precious time and sanity so you can have your life back to do what you do best ... teach!
Bored w/ Teaching GRAMMAR?
→ Introduce your learners to The Grammar Ninjas!