Also included in
- Go beyond Greek and Latin when teaching word origins with the resources in this bundle. With 5 resources included, your students will learn about English words that come from these languages: Arabic, Hebrew, Hindi, Nahuatl & Algonquian languages, and Old Norse. There are 161 words altogether.✓Price $17.60Original Price $22.00Save $4.40
- It can be hard to teach about the Viking Age and early European colonies in North America because there are so many people and places that students learn about. It’s even more difficult for English Language Learners and other students whose reading skills make it hard for them to access grade-levelPrice $29.80Original Price $38.25Save $8.45
This resource presents 30 English words that come from Nahuatl, the language of the Aztecs, and several Algonquian languages spoken by Native Americans and First Nations people in the U.S. and Canada. A few of the words will be familiar but other words will surprise you -- chocolate and moccasin and also persimmon and woodchuck all come from indigenous languages of North America! This is a great resource to use when teaching about Meso-American and Native American history and culture, about word origins, or when reading novels with these settings.
Resource at a Glance:
* 12 English words that come from Nahuatl, the language of the Aztec people.
* 18 English words that come from Algonquian languages that were/are spoken in what is now the eastern and mid-western area of the United States and Canada.
★ Who is it for?
* All students.
★ How does it help teachers?
* It expands students’ knowledge when teaching word origins.
* It adds a cultural element when teaching about Indigenous/Native American peoples.
* It shows the influence and impact of Indigenous languages on the English language.
* The posters can be used as a bulletin board display.
* The ready-made task cards can be used in centers or copied and distributed to students.
What an educator who has used this resource says about it:
♥ "I used this as a bell-ringer in honor of Native American History Month." -- Alma M.
What you get in this product:
★ A table of contents for quick reference (1 page)
★ A Notes to the Teacher section with background information and 5 ways to use the words in this resource (2 pages)
★ A list of all 30 words on one page, for easy reference (1 page)
★ A cover page listing 12 English words with Nahuatl origins, in both color and black-and-white versions (1 page each for a total of 2 pages)
★ A cover page listing 18 English words with Algonquian origins and the particular languages they come from, in both color and black-and-white versions (1 page each for a total of 2 pages)
★ 2 maps showing where the Algonquian languages were spoken, in both color and black-and-white versions (2 pages in color, 2 pages in black-and-white for a total of 4 pages)
★ A list of 7 categories the words can be sorted into (1 page)
★ One set of 8.5” x 11” poster-sized words in color, with a blank template for adding your own words if desired (30 words plus 1 template for a total of 31 pages)
★ One set of 8.5” x 11” poster-sized words in black-and-white, with a blank template for adding your own words if desired (30 words plus 1 template for a total of 31 pages)
★ One set of flashcard-sized words in color, with blank templates for adding your own words if desired (8 pages)
★ One set of flashcard-sized words in black-and-white, with blank templates for adding your own words if desired (8 pages)
Two versions of the words are included in this resource:
* In the first version, each word is shown 1 per page, in 8.5” x 11” poster size.
* In the second version, 4 flashcard-sized words are shown per page.
For both versions, the words are provided in both color and black-and-white styles. A list of all the words on one page is included for easy reference. Background information and 5 suggestions for using the words are included in the teacher notes. A page listing categories for a word sort activity is also provided. Maps showing where Nahuatl and the Algonquian languages were/are spoken are included, too. Please open the preview to see the complete list of words in this product.
Whether you display the words on a bulletin board or distribute sets of the flashcard-sized words to students for a word work activity, this resource will expand their knowledge and appreciation of the English language.
You might also like these resources:
★ The Corn Raid Novel Study (a novel of Jamestown)
If you would like to receive updates about my new products, please click HERE or on the green star under my store name at the top of your screen.
You can earn TpT credits that reduce the cost of your future purchases by giving feedback about this product. Just click on the "Comments & Ratings" tab after downloading to leave a comment and a rating. It's that easy!
Thank you and happy teaching!