Have you ever done a name acrostic with your class, loved the results and wished you could display them; but, some students insist on writing their names too small to see?
I've created two sets of 3 by 3 inch outlined letters. These outlined letters are large enough for the students to color-in and design and then cut and paste across a colorful sheet of large construction paper. Each letter is printed 6 per page.
I've included a detailed lesson plan for writing the name poems. Names are unique and identify us immediately to one another. In some cultures, as explained in Scott O’Dell’s Island of the Blue Dolphins, the sacredness and private nature of one’s name is so special that a child would be given two names, one for public use and one, to be uttered only by the closest family or friend.
This project brings attention to each student’s name and the words and images that they feel help to identify them personally. These large, legible and colorful name poems look wonderful displayed around the room for “Back to School Nights” or “Open House”.
Included in the PDF:
1. A two part lesson plan. The first goes over the language arts component of the name poem in great detail with options to tailor the grammar component for your class. The second part of the lesson plan is a collage art lesson to create displayable name poem art for each student.
2. Student Direction Sheet
3. Language Arts Name Poem brainstorming worksheet
4. Group Organizer Worksheet to assist in distributing outlined letters
5. Set #1 (Playful-Chubby Shape) of Outlined Letters
6. Decorated set of Outlined Vowels
7. Set #2 (Elegant) of Outlined Letters
name poem or acrostic collage
by happy apple's classroom/mamikunian
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License