Name this Number! is a place value activity that gives students practice in identifying three-digit numbers in multiple forms:
• place value words (hundreds, tens, ones)
• base-ten blocks
• expanded form
• standard form
• word form.
Students will also practice decomposing a hundred into 10 tens and decomposing a ten into 10 ones. This skill is essential for understanding the concept of subtraction with regrouping.
This activity includes:
• 12 Name This Number! mats. Each mat shows a different base- ten block representation of a three–digit number.
• A Name This Number chart. The chart gives an example of the different representation for a three-digit number.
• An anchor chart that models decomposing a ten into 10 ones, using base-ten blocks.
• An anchor chart that models decomposing a hundred into 10 tens, using base-ten blocks.
• 3 sets of number name cards.
o Set 1 has 48 cards. These cards represent the numbers in standard form, word form, expanded form, and using place value words.
o Set 2 has 24 cards. These cards represent the numbers when a ten has been decomposed into 10 ones.
o Set 3 has 24 cards. These cards represent the numbers when a hundred has been decomposed into 10 tens.
I recommend laminating the cards and mats for a center or small group math activity. Begin with the Set 1 cards to practice matching the base ten representation to the other forms of naming a number. Add the Set 2 cards for decomposing a ten when students are proficient with Set 1. Then combine all three sets to provide the challenge of decomposing hundreds.