This product, by It’s Not Rocket Science,
you need to teach writing chemical formulas and naming chemical compounds – both ionic compounds and covalent compounds. Students will take notes, complete daily practice questions, and participate in two supplemental activities in order to master the task of writing chemical formulas and naming ionic and covalent compounds. There are over 175 practice problems included in this mini-unit. After covering the content, students will be assessed on their knowledge in the form of two quizzes. The notes are provided in an editable PowerPoint format and the quizzes come in two levels – honors and College Prep – in order to best meet the needs of your classroom.
Why should I use this product in my classroom?
Students can easily get all of the naming rules and exceptions confused. I’ve seen many teachers (myself included) previously use the Type I, II, III and IV naming system, and I think this only more confuses our students. This is the clearest and simplest way I’ve tried and tested to teach my students this information and it has been a success – so I knew I must share with everyone else! Practice truly does make perfect with this topic which is why I have included over 175 practice problems embedded in notes, in practice classwork/homework, and in class activities to ensure mastery for your students.
What is included?
• 5 pages of teacher implementation notes
• 6 pages of practice problems for classwork or homework + answer keys
• 2 in class activities + answer keys
• 4 quizzes – 2 for honors level and 2 for College Prep level class
• Answer keys for quizzes
• 37 slide editable PowerPoint presentation for notes
• Reference sheet
Is this aligned to Next Generation Science Standards?
Yes!! All of my products align with NGSS. This product specifically aligns with:
HS-PS1-1. Use the periodic table as a model to predict the relative properties of elements based on the patterns of electrons in the outermost energy level of atoms.
Looking for other physical science resources?
Check out some of my favorites by clicking below!
• Ionic Bonding Elemental Superhero Project
• Sweet Tea Lab: An investigation of the rate of chemical reactions
• Prime Time Physical Science: An entire year’s worth of bell ringers, exit slips, or daily quizzes
• Physical Science Vocabulary Review Game
What if I have a question?
Email me at email@example.com I’d love to answer any questions you have!
How do I stay updated on new products, sales, and freebies?
**Follow Me** by clicking the green star by my store name. I add a new product every week so this is the best way to keep up with what’s happening at It’s Not Rocket Science!
• Use this item for your own classroom, students, or for your own personal use.
• Buy additional licenses for others to use this product at 50% off by visiting your TpT “My Purchases” page.
• Review this product to recommend others buy it in blog posts, at professional development workshops, or other venues as long as credit is given to my store with a direct link to my store/product.
You may not...
• Upload this product to any website or server – even one for your classroom.
• Give this product to others without the purchase of an additional license for them (this includes emailing, printing copies, or sharing through a website, cloud or other network.)
• Copy or modify any part of this document to offer others for free or for sale.