PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
This simple worksheet uses Jacques Louis Davis'd "Napoleon Crossing the Alps" as a way to introduce Napoleon Bonaparte to students. It is a great "Do Now/ Motivation". Within this worksheet, students will analyze and discuss the importance of propaganda.
Possible questions to use:
- What do you see within this painting? (horse, man, soldiers in distance)
- Look at the sky? How does that affect the mood of the painting?
- How does the horse's face differ from Napoleon's? Analyze why.
- Where is Napoleon going? (battle) How do you know?
- Identify the names of the Rocks in the foreground, who are they and why would they be written within the painting?
- How much accuracy do you think is in this photo? Why?
- From the analysis of the painting, identify how Napoleon wants his subjects to view him.
* Access to the image on PPT will greatly enhance this activity.