This packet offers four tools to help students through the process of writing a Narrative Essay. These tools could be used in grades 6-9. Included are the following:
1) Narrative Essay Writing Prompts: Sixteen prompts to help students get their minds thinking about what topic(s) they would like to explore.
2) Narrative Essay Word Web: A simple 21 box/circle word web to help students with quick word association during the pre-writing process.
3) Narrative Essay Graphic Organizer: A 6-box graphic organizer to help students organize their thoughts in preparation for the first drafting process. There are three main sections (Introduction, Body, and Conclusion), with prompts that further help students to engage in brainstorming.
4) Narrative Essay Rubric: For me, knowing that I have over a hundred essays to read can be quite overwhelming. This is a very accessible rubric that helps the students see what they need to do for a good grade, as well as helps make the grading process for me as quick and painless as possible! This rubric covers five areas of focus:
1) Pre-writing/Graphic Organizer
2) 1st Draft/Rough Draft
4) Organization/Body Paragraphs
Each section has three columns that total 10, 15, and 20 points. The rubric is set-up so you can simply circle the number or points and then add up for a quick grade.