This is a series of multiple page worksheets to accompany lessons on Narrative Poetry, specifically “Casey at the Bat” and “The Highwayman.”
Included with this packet:
• Introduction to Freytag’s Pyramid- a diagram with corresponding definitions.
• The text of Ernest Lawrence Thayer’s “Casey at the Bat” with close reading questions that require students cite actual textual evidence for most of the answers they give. The questions are designed to focus readers on finding their answers in the text and be able to use the text to support any of those answers. Students also have to diagram the plot of the poem on a Freytag Pyramid.
• A list of poetic devices with corresponding definitions.
• The text of Alfred Noyes’ “The Highwayman” with close reading questions and the assignment to identify all poetic devices used by the author.
• Answer Keys for both poem worksheets.