- Google Apps™
This Narrative writing bundle includes print and digital resources to teach the language and structural components of a Narrative. The print-n-go sheets, editable PowerPoint presentations, guided notes, interactive notebook activities, Scavenger Hunts, flipbooks, anchor charts, posters, checklists, and marking rubrics will teach your students a step-by-step approach to writing effectively. Activities scaffold every stage of the writing process. All components in this pack are designed to facilitate students to sit state tests, the Naplan, or writing assessments.
This is a It will include more print and digital resources on the structural components of the Narrative genre. You will receive items listed and future additions at the current price. The cost will rise as new packs are added. Work in progress.
⭐ All units include both US and British English spellings.
- Mini-lessons target the use of transitions, description, figurative language, and dialogue to control pacing, in addition to effective ways of beginning and concluding narratives.
- Students will be introduced to a range of activities to enhance their story-writing skills. The PowerPoint presentations (editable) will introduce them to the structural components of a narrative from the exposition, inciting incident, conflict, rising action, climax, falling action, and resolution. Students will record notes (Cornell-style) on guided note-taking sheets and apply skills learned when writing sample pieces. Mini-lessons (more to be added) on sizzling starts, tightening tension, and point of view will further strengthen their acquired skills.
- The sample texts, posters/anchor charts, graphic organizers, flipbook, self-editing, and peer-editing checklists, and VCOP (Vocabulary, Connectives, Openers, Punctuation) handouts will help students maintain structure and write cohesively on the topic throughout the writing process. In addition, the Teacher Marking Rubric featuring eight criteria will make it easy for you to justify the final grade given.
⭐ Digital sheets will be added to existing resources. Work in progress.
The below 8 units are currently included in this bundle:
It’s the start of an essay that needs to grab the reader’s attention and this mini-unit will scaffold the writing of sizzling starts and the technique of Backfill. The sample sizzling starts, backfills, and organizers will facilitate your students to write their own impressive starters. Moreover, the option to use QR Codes will make your students all the more enthusiastic about writing.
The PowerPoint Show, Student Guided Notes, Sheets (print pdf, PowerPoint templates, and templates in Google Slides) will provide a comprehensive approach to teaching the exposition in a narrative.
Prior to requiring students to write a narrative, it is imperative that they know its structural components. This mini-unit will help your students understand the purpose of the three main points of view: First Person, Third Person Limited, and Third Person Omniscient.
4. Narrative Writing Elements of a Plot - Editable Presentation & Guided Notes Scaffold the writing of the parts of a narrative that include the elements of a plot (exposition, inciting incident, conflict, rising action, climax, falling action, and resolution) with this comprehensive pack comprising of 40 editable PowerPoint presentation slides, student-guided interactive notes, sample texts, self-editing and peer-editing checklists and marking rubric.
Quite often when students write, they 'let the cat out of the bag' and give away the plot too quickly. This mini writing unit models how to build suspense by tightening tension in a narrative to make details more vivid and interesting. This technique can be applied to both personal and fictional narratives.
This resource will help your students write the tightening tension in a narrative. Writing lessons scaffold the writing of the exposition, inciting incident, rising action (pebble, rock, boulder). In addition, the graphic organizers, checklists, and writing assignment will facilitate your students to write with impressive style and technique.
7. Narrative Writing Interactive Notebook
- Narrative Writing Part I and Part II: mini-lessons on the Narrative Writing Structural and Language devices (interactive notebook templates).
- On-demand Narrative Prompts, graphic organizers, and writing templates.
- Writing Tools: The VCOP Gang
- Sample Personal Narrative Writing Piece.
- Self-editing and Peer editing Checklist.
- Teacher Marking Rubric.
- Detailed Lesson Plan outline.
This personal narrative writing unit (print and digital) will scaffold the structural elements of a narrative. Students will analyze a narrative written sample for its structural components and language devices.
30 Boom Digital Cards added on the structural elements of a narrative.
I have used different units in this bundle for students from grade 3 to even grade 8 and it has assisted in developing their story-telling skills, both personal and fictional, to much success.
You may choose to do these units in any order depending upon the needs of your students, prior to the writing on the narrative writing prompts at the end of the unit. I generally integrate the units on 'orientation', 'sizzling starts', 'point of view', and 'plot' with the interactive notebook lessons.
My objective when working on the lessons in this bundle is for students to not just write - but to write with flair. I planned this unit for my students after seeing how often they got carried away in their writing and lost track of the gist of what they wanted to convey. This unit provided them with a plan to follow, structure to adhere and a purpose to narrate a compelling story.
Read some impressive feedback left by buyers of this resource:
I used this resource with a very low-literacy Year 9 class. It was a fantastic resource for breaking down the creative writing process - students found the 'Sizzling Starts' resources particularly helpful. As a first-year teacher, I was very grateful for this wonderful resource :)
This is terrific and fast becoming one of my favourite 'go to' products and sellers. I love the creativity and range of activities for students. Thank you!
This is an AMAZING resource. Narrative writing has always been a struggle for me to plan and implement. My students loved this. It was fun and engaging and they totally rocked it. I also like how some of the lessons could be slightly adapted and used to teach different writing styles.
Holy Toledo! This has so much stuff it is truly amazing. Thanks for doing all the leg work.
Love the examples that are easy for students to follow and then have a go at writing their own. Great for my year five students who struggle to get started.
I've purchased so many narrative writing resources and this is the only one that scaffolds each writing technique with a well-written anchor text to model for the students. I love the fact that it combines interactive cut-outs and worksheets. My kids love them.
My Grade 5 students are rocking our narrative writing unit and a BIG part of that is using all of the writing tools offered in this package. The foldables help students stay organized and follow a single storyline from beginning to end (they're no longer getting sidetracked). The mini lessons are ideal "warm ups" that we complete regularly to improve writing from the day before. Students look forward to writing and are getting more creative everyday.
This is an amazing resource! Way more than I thought I was getting. The amount of work you put into this resource is appreciated! I can't wait to use it with my sixth graders! Their writing is sure to improve!!
This really helped my students! I love the detailed breakdown and mini-lessons. The students were really engaged, and excited to work on writing for the first time!
Oh my goodness, I feel like it is Christmas! :-) I love that you covered so many areas - figurative language, setting, plot, resolution, etc. The interactive flaps will be valuable to organizing all of the learning. Your product is so thorough, I feel like my students will be ready to handle writing their own narrative by the time we finish your material. Thanks so much!
See writing lessons for K-4 here:
- Persuasive/Opinion Writing Editable Presentation & Guided Notes
- Procedural Writing - How To Writing
- Persuasive/Opinion Digital Writing Google Slides
Resources of Interest
- ELA Practice Tests Bundle
- Naplan Language Conventions Practice Tests Bundle
- Sentence Structure Bundle
- Reading Strategies Bundle
- Math Practice Tests Bundle
- Naplan Numeracy Practice Tests Bundle
- Math Curriculum (K-3) Bundle
- Math Curriculum (4-6) Bundle
Please contact me with any queries regarding this resource.
Read more about how 'Writing Doesn't Have to be Boring' at my blog.