Just what you’ve been waiting for: tried and true strategies to improve your students’ narrative writing! This set of posters (8-1/2 x 11 inches) and cards (4 x 5 inches) come in three versions: simple, detailed, and examples. Click on PREVIEW to take a peek.
• Improving Narrative Writing – Simply Stated (10 posters/10 cards)
• Improving Narrative Writing – Detailed (12 posters/12 cards)
• Improving Narrative Writing – Examples (44 posters/44 cards)
• Bonus – Improving Narrative Writing Handout
How can you use these resources? Let me count the ways!
• Create a classroom display with posters.
• Use select posters to drive or support instruction.
• Place select posters or cards at stations around the room; have students “scoot” (move) from one station to the next revising narratives.
• Select one strategy and ask students to correct a narrative.
• Print one set of cards (or the bonus handout) for each student to use as reference.
• The possibilities are endless! Pick and choose to support any narrative writing revision in your classroom!
All posters and cards stem from my Top 10 strategies:
1. Vary sentence beginnings, types, and lengths.
2. Choose words for effect.
3. Choose precise words.
4. Use sensory words.
5. Use active verbs.
6. Use transition words.
7. Use figurative language.
8. Add details.
9. Add dialogue.
10. Write effective beginnings and endings.
Are you looking for some specific narrative writing activities? Try these!
• Writers' Workshop Featuring Mentor Texts from The Wind in the Willows
• Writing Fables
• Writing Just So Stories
Would you like to know when I post more resources? Simply follow me on TpT