How do I use this resource?
1. Review Chapter 23 in The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. Discuss:
a. how Tom confessed to witnessing the murder of Doc. Robinson.
b. He told the courtroom that Injun Joe had committed the crime, freeing the innocent Muff Potter.
c. Without Tom sticking up for what he believed in, his life could have turned out much differently.
2. After this, have the students reflect on what they personally believe in.
3. Introduce them to their task.
4. Pass out the organizer and have them complete this before finishing their copy. I have included a conferencing sheet in here.
5. After the completion of the narrative, have students get into small group to present their narrative. I have included a rubric for group members to fill out during the presentation. The narrative writing rubric is also included.
What can I expect students to do?
1. Discuss the text, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
2. Reflect on what they believe in versus what Tom believed in
3. Draft ideas on a graphic organizer
4. Conference with the teacher
5. Finalize their work before handing it in
6. Present their narrative to their peers
7. Assess their peers’ performance