This unit is also a part of a Narrative, Poetry, and Fable Writing Unit Bundle.
You can check it out HERE.
In this detailed, CCSS-aligned, 10-day unit, students will learn about narrative writing
and actively participate in the writing process. Students will write personal narratives
about an interesting experience that taught them a lesson. In their personal narratives, students will include key elements of narrative writing: ideas, organization, voice, word choice, sentence fluency and conventions. Through the study of a mentor text, pre-writing activities, draft guidelines, revision mini-lessons and guides, peer conferencing, and editing, students will write a powerful personal narrative.
This unit is very versatile. It can be taught at the beginning of the school year to learn about students and build a classroom community, in conjunction with Open House, after a school break, or even at the end of the year with the lesson learned focused on the current school year. Whenever you teach this unit, you’ll be thrilled with the superb writing that students create and the pride they show in their work.
In this unit, students will:
• Write narratives to develop real experiences
• Develop skills in organizing events naturally and logically
• Learn about and write using narrative techniques including dialogue, pacing, voice, description and description
• Use a variety of transition words and phrases in their writing
• Use precise words and develop word choices and sensory language to convey experiences and events
• Produce a narrative writing piece that is appropriate to task, purpose and audience
• Strengthen their writing through planning, revising, editing, and conferencing
• Build a community of writers
• Actively listen to and identify elements of narrative writing in their peers’ writing
Common Core State Standards:
Writing - W.3, W.3A, W.3B, W.3C, W.3D, W.3E, W.4, W.5, W.6, W.10
Reading - R.2, R.6, R.10
Language - L.1, L.2, L.3, L.6
Speaking and Listening - SL.1, SL.6
This detailed Narrative Writing Unit
• Detailed lesson plans (10)
• Guided notes - Narrative Writing
• Teacher key - Guided notes
• Mentor text - “The Bike” by Gary Soto
• Mentor text - Narrative Reflection
• Narrative Rubric
• Pre-Writing - Brainstorm Guide
• Pre-Writing - Graphing
• Pre-Writing - Graph
• Planning - Framework
• Planning - Focusing on the Topic
• Planning - Putting Events in Order
• Planning - Sensory Details
• First Draft Guidelines
• First Draft - Beginning, Middle and End
• Revising - Leads
• Revising - Word Choice
• Revising - Dialogue Tips and Tricks
• Revising - Adding Dialogue
• Revising - Voice
• Revising - Transitions
• Revising - Ending
• Revising - Checklist
• Editing - Checklist
• Peer Conference Form
• Final Copy Guidelines
• Narrative Listening Guide
This unit is also a part of a massive Writing Unit Bundle.
The bundle is filled with 12 Writing Units - everything you'll need for an entire year of writing instruction! You can check it out HERE.
You might also like…
Poetry Reading, Writing, and Analyzing BUNDLE!
Writing Unit BUNDLE!
- Persuasive, Descriptive and Myth Writing Units
Reading Comprehension Skills - Mini-Unit SUPER BUNDLE!
Making Inferences, Main Idea, Predictions, Sequencing, Cause and Effect, and Context Clues
Following is Fun!
Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on this page or click the green “Follow Me” star on my store homepage.
*** Click HERE
to receive the Brain Waves Instruction Newsletter
filled with exclusive FREEBIES and Teaching Tips!
*** Click HERE
to become a seller on TpT
(Referral by Brain Waves Instruction)
Brain Waves Instruction