In this fun, CCSS-aligned, 3 week unit, students will learn about narrative writing and actively participate in the writing process. Students will write narratives from a variety of 7 prompts. In their stories, students will use the given questions to consider to help them with plotting their stories to be exciting and gripping for the reader's attention! Through the writing process, there are 11 mini-lessons and activities to help your writers get a better understanding of how to write their best narratives!
This unit is great for 2nd - 5th graders, and can be used at any point during the year.
In this unit, students will:
• Write narratives to develop characters, settings, and plot.
• Develop skills in organizing the beginning, middle, and end of their story.
• Learn about and write using techniques such as problem/solution, character development, plot mountain, and MORE!
• Develop word choice, and make more powerful sentences.
• Strengthen their writing through planning, revising, editing, and conferencing
Common Core State Standards:
W.3, W.4, W.5, W.8, W.9, W.10
11 Mini-lesson Activities included are:
- Brain storming
- Story Mountain
- Rough Draft Template
- Making Up a Character
- A Day in the Life of my Character
- Where in the World? (setting development)
- Terrific Titles
-Roller Coaster Middles
- Happily Ever After??
- Write to Excite!
7 Writing Topic Prompts included are:
- Fairy Tale
- Secret Spy Story
- Pony Story
- Superhero Story
- Time Travel Tale
- Animal Adventure