Also included in
- Save with this bundle of 3 writing units. The bundle includes a Narrative Writing Unit, a Fable Writing Unit, and a Poetry Writing Unit. Together they span 31 days of instruction!Great news! These writing units include a traditional PDF version of the student writing packets, as well as links for$29.99$33.97Save $3.98
- What if an entire month of school could be already planned for you and your students? Well, your wish is granted! This bundle includes four resources that perfectly pair together AND help students learn a ton of skills in just 20 days! With this bundle students will develop skills in writing, rea$24.71$27.46Save $2.75
- Save BIG with this set of 12 writing units! Meet every single writing standard as students progress through 12 engaging and detailed units. This writing unit bundle includes units for Narrative, Expository, Persuasive, Descriptive, Memoir, Biography, Speech, Opinion, Poetry, Letter, Myth, and Fabl$99.99$113.38Save $13.39
- A great writing curriculum allows students to write and learn in a variety of ways. That’s why this Writing Essentials Bundle combines critical writing units, daily writing prompts, targeted writing mini-lessons, and creative writing activities. You’ll find ready-to-teach lessons that will not only$51.99$58.91Save $6.92
In this detailed, CCSS-aligned, 10-day unit, students will learn about narrative writing and actively participate in the writing process. Students will write personal narratives about an interesting experience that taught them a lesson. In their personal narratives, students will include key elements of narrative writing: ideas, organization, voice, word choice, sentence fluency and conventions. Through the study of a mentor text, pre-writing activities, draft guidelines, revision mini-lessons and guides, peer conferencing, and editing, students will write a powerful personal narrative.
This unit is very versatile. It can be taught at the beginning of the school year to learn about students and build a classroom community, in conjunction with Open House, after a school break, or even at the end of the year with the lesson learned focused on the current school year. Whenever you teach this unit, you’ll be thrilled with the superb writing that students create and the pride they show in their work.
Great news! This resource includes a traditional PDF version of the student writing packet, as well as a link for Google Slides. This means that this resource is ready for Google Classroom! The digital version of the packet is accessible from any computer and allows students to complete their work online. You’ll find links for digital versions of the student writing packet and the grading rubric included with this resource.
In this unit, students will:
- Write narratives to develop real experiences
- Develop skills in organizing events naturally and logically
- Learn about and write using narrative techniques including dialogue, pacing, voice, description and description
- Use a variety of transition words and phrases in their writing
- Use precise words and develop word choices and sensory language to convey experiences and events
- Produce a narrative writing piece that is appropriate to task, purpose and audience
- Strengthen their writing through planning, revising, editing, and conferencing
- Build a community of writers
- Actively listen to and identify elements of narrative writing in their peers’ writing
Common Core State Standards:
- Writing - W.3, W.3A, W.3B, W.3C, W.3D, W.3E, W.4, W.5, W.6, W.10
- Reading - R.2, R.6, R.10
- Language - L.1, L.2, L.3, L.6
- Speaking and Listening - SL.1, SL.6
This detailed Narrative Writing Unit includes:
- Detailed lesson plans (10)
- Guided notes - Narrative Writing
- Teacher key - Guided notes
- Mentor text - “The Bike” by Gary Soto
- Mentor text - Narrative Reflection
- Narrative Rubric
- Pre-Writing - Brainstorm Guide
- Pre-Writing - Graphing
- Pre-Writing - Graph
- Planning - Framework
- Planning - Focusing on the Topic
- Planning - Putting Events in Order
- Planning - Sensory Details
- First Draft Guidelines
- First Draft - Beginning, Middle and End
- Revising - Leads
- Revising - Word Choice
- Revising - Dialogue Tips and Tricks
- Revising - Adding Dialogue
- Revising - Voice
- Revising - Transitions
- Revising - Ending
- Revising - Checklist
- Editing - Checklist
- Peer Conference Form
- Final Copy Guidelines
- Narrative Listening Guide
FYI: This unit is also a part of a massive Writing Unit Bundle. The bundle is filled with 12 Writing Units - everything you'll need for an entire year of writing instruction! You can check it out HERE.
Here's an idea! Combine this unit with this 3-Day mini-unit all about the narrative writing genre. Students create an interactive booklet filled with guided notes and writing prompts. It's the perfect companion to this writing unit! Check it out here.
You might also like…
- Poetry Reading, Writing, and Analyzing BUNDLE!
- Writing Unit BUNDLE! - Persuasive, Descriptive and Myth Writing Units
- Reading Comprehension Skills - Mini-Unit SUPER BUNDLE! Making Inferences, Main Idea, Predictions, Sequencing, Cause and Effect, and Context Clues
Following is Fun!
Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on this page or click the green “Follow Me” star on my store homepage.
Let’s Stay in Touch!
Brain Waves Instruction