Narrative Writing Unit for 4th and 5th Graders aligned with Common Core with a focus on suspense.
This fictional narrative writing unit on is based on a Solar System Adventure. It is filled with lesson plans, graphic organizers, and teacher samples. This narrative writing project streamlines the writing process and supports students (4th and 5th grade) with writing narrative five paragraph essays. Lesson plans are broken up day by day for 30 min. - 45 min. blocks. Teacher samples are provided using a suspenseful meeting of an alien on Mars.
Help your students become confident and successful writers with these easy to use graphic organizers. This writing unit takes students step-by-step through the writing process from planning, drafting, editing/revising, to creating a final draft. Graphic organizers and samples are organized to give teachers easy to follow tools to model for students. Graphic organizers provide structure to support Common core standards and guide students through the suspense writing process.
1) 14 days worth of writing lessons focusing on suspense
2) Writing Prompt
3) Brainstorm Page and Sample
4) Focus Storm Page and sample
5) Narrative Transition Word Toolbox
6) Tips for building suspense in writing
7) Planning Page Graphic Organizer
8) Sample Planning Page Graphic Organizer
9) Show Not Tell Graphic Organizer
10) Sample Show Not Tell Graphic Organizer
11) Rough Draft Graphic Organizer
12) Sample Rough Draft
13) Editing Checklist
14) Final Draft publishing papers
15) “I can” Self Checklist
16) Quick Rubric
Check out my blog for 21st teaching tips and strategies in an elementary classroom. You can also find more freebies! Copy and paste the following link into your browser:
Check out my other Writing Units for 4th and 5th Grade:
Opinion Writing & Research Unit: Limited Natural Resources
Opinion Writing & Research Unit: American Indians
Also, follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter: