This Common Core resource includes 20 rigorous unit learning tasks for Nathaniel Hawthorne’s short story, "The Minister’s Black Veil.” The teacher-created learning tasks include standard(s) alignment using the language of Common Core State Standards. The unit activities represent a balance of analysis and evaluation activities focusing on a variety of literary elements, constructed responses, and extended informational/explanatory, narrative, and argumentative writing. This resource also includes some embedded external documents and informational texts that have thematic parallels with "The Minister’s Black Veil." The learning tasks will delve deeper into the complex character development, figurative and connotative meanings, and themes that have made it a literary classic.
Critical reading of literary texts is a critical component of the Common Core State Standards, and analyzing texts is a key skill that students will need for college and the jobs of the future. The critical foci of the learning tasks include:
1. Figurative and connotative meanings
2. Citing strong and thorough textual evidence (inferencing)
3. Analyzing themes and their development over the course of the text.
4. Analyzing complex character development
5. Responding to literature using constructed responses
6. Collegial discussions and presenting information.
7. Argumentative and expository extended writing
8. Comparing print and digital media including a comic strip to the short story
9. Morphology and context clues activities embedded within the core text.
Make sure you follow my store for future releases and future sales!
Visit the JCB Educational Services Store!!
Nathaniel Hawthorne's “The Minister's Black Veil” –20 Common Core Learning Tasks
by Dr. Joel C. Boyce
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License