The nonfiction lesson activities provided throughout this comprehension guide along with the text, will provide students with a range of meaningful and deliberate practices to improve learning. Each of these lessons can be given as classroom work, homework, or can work great as center activities. The nonfiction text will engage the student and the lessons are created so scaffolding can be addressed as needed.
Download the sample preview to see every page!
Every student enjoys reading these National Geographic for Kids books, now here is the comprehension guide that works in conjunction with the book. With the Common Core State Standards updated focus on reading informational texts, you can now watch as your students master the vocabulary, demonstrate their comprehension, and work through specific skills such as Main Idea, Compare and Contrast, and Fact and Opinion. Also, you students will be challenged to work on their writing skills through our intensive writing prompt while utilizing the graphic organizer to help map out their paragraph. As an added bonus we have also provided at least three reference videos and live cams access for all of our books on animals! Watch orcas, monkeys, and baby pandas play in real time in your classroom!
Don't forget to check out my other National Geographic for Kids Nonfiction Comprehension Guides
Lesson activities meet Webb’s Depth of Knowledge (DOK) at levels 2 and 3.
Marzano’s Implemented Strategies:
• Supports Domain 1: DQ2: Helping Students Interact with New Knowledge, DQ3: Helping Students Practice and Deepen New Knowledge, DQ4: Helping Students Generate and Test Hypotheses
• Supports Domain 2 : Planning and Preparing
• Strategies for Advanced Decoding, Fluency, Vocabulary, Comprehension
• Higher Order Questions
• Integrated Language, Listening, Speaking, and Writing Standards
• Cooperative grouping activities
• Targeted Skill: Main Idea
• Spiraled Comprehension skills
• Text Dependent Questions
• Cloze Reading
• Collaborative structures
• Opportunities to track student progress: exit slip or reflection journal
Answer key included for every activity!
This guide is focused on grade 3, but makes a great review for grade 4 and a great challenge for those grade 2 students who need a challenge.
Visit and LIKE my Facebook Page for updates, specials, and announcements