National Symbols of America
is a Social Studies lesson with the objective of helping students identify and explain the historical significance of several national symbols of America.
I have revised this product to better match the new standards recently issued in my state. Since many people had wish listed the original product, I am including BOTH the original and the revised versions in a zip folder with the purchase of this resource.
Missouri Learning Standard ~ Social Studies:
Recognize and explain the significance of national symbols associated with historical events and time periods being studied.
Symbols included in this lesson:
Jefferson Memorial, Liberty Bell, Lincoln Memorial, Mount Rushmore, Statue of Liberty, U.S. Flag, and the Washington Monument.
Included in this product:
• Lesson Overview (included in preview)
• 5-Day Lesson Outline (included in preview)
• “I Can” Learning Goal Chart (color and grayscale version)
• Essential Question Chart (color and grayscale version)
• Power Word Poster – symbol
• Power Word Teacher Page
• Content-rich Informational Text (Lexile measure 1100L)
• Nonfiction Text Graphic Organizer
• Reading Strategies Questions
• Words to Know Printable and Key – reviewing difficult words in text
• Cloze (scaffolded) Notes for informational text and Key
• 3D Graphic Organizers (foldables) and Keys
• Power Questions Printable and Key (text-dependent questions)
• Quick Quiz and Key
• Critical Thinking Prompts for Interactive Notebooks
• BONUS: Old Glory Printable and Key (included in preview)
The 3D graphic organizers (foldables) will fit within the pages of a standard composition notebook. However, the lesson is designed so that it can also be used without such notebooks.
I completed this lesson with my students over a 5-day week. However, the lesson can easily be modified to suit your schedule and students’ needs – just use those activities/pages that fit the time you have to teach this subject.
This resource can be used separately or in conjunction with the following:
• National Symbols of America ~ PowerPoint, Booklet, and Vocabulary Check
• National Symbols of America ~ Task Cards
• National Symbols of America ~ Lesson Bundle
Happy Teaching ~ The Reflective Educator