The product is a supplement to the free video mini-lesson series provided by Learnzillion.com (clips available at http://tinyurl.com/learnzillionlegendofthecorn). The packet uses a Native American legend to teach:
- Identifying the genre of a story.
- Using footnotes and context clues to understand difficult vocabulary.
- Determining character traits based on a character's actions, dialogue, and thinking.
- How conflict affects the plot of a story.
- Recognizing characters that fit an archetype.
- How theme is developed in a story.
Also included in this product download is the Legend of the Corn text (taken and modified from gutenberg.org).
There are six activities, one for each of the above topics. All questions have been aligned to the grade 7 Common Core Learning Standards.
These lessons can be used in stations or as whole group instruction!