You need a better classroom management strategy. Just reading rules isn’t effective. Instead, develop a classroom culture that supports the student behaviors you desire. Through this introductory lesson on Native American origin myths, your new classroom culture will naturally begin to flourish, and students will begin to exhibit the behaviors you want: curiosity, grit, collaboration, trust, cooperation, respect, caring, and others.
• Teacher’s Guide
• Detailed Lesson Plan
• Instructional PPT Presentation (16 slides) with very clear teacher notes
• 3 Handouts. (Very similar documents are used my free
product, Origin and Creation Myths: Notes, Archetype Chart, Culture Chart
. Click here to view
• Answer keys
• CCSS & New Jersey Student Learning Standards (NJSLS) in Word
How to Use
• Requires smartboard or devices with internet access and audio.
• Students watch a popular TV advertisement to discover American culture. Guided by graphic organizers, students focus on details the advertiser (storyteller) included and discover for themselves American culture & values. From there, guide students through three “spontaneous by design” discussions to establish your classroom culture. Finally, use positive reinforcement to solidify the culture in the classroom.
How to Expand
• Continue to reinforce your classroom culture over the next week or two. How? Begin the year with Native American origin myths, which emphasize the behaviors you want—curiosity, grit, collaboration, trust, cooperation, respect, caring, and others.
• Students are prepared to easily transfer the skills learned in this lesson to study Native American origin myths.
• Most American literature textbooks have a chapter on Native American origin myths. They are also readily available online.
The following products build upon the skills taught in this lesson.
• Revised (8/6/18) lesson, Use “Navajo Origin Myth” to Establish a Positive Classroom Culture
. Updated to address classroom management. Includes close reading questions, class notes, graphic organizers, optional differentiated essay topics. Includes answer keys! Check it out here
• Companion mini-unit
, Positive Classroom Culture & “Earth on Turtle’s Back” & “When Grizzlies Walked Upright.”
Includes lesson plan with pacing guide, 5 handouts/graphic organizers, answer keys, fun Summative Project offering 5 choices, rubric, optional differentiated essay topics. Check it out here
• FREE Origin and Creation Myths: Notes, Archetype Chart, Culture Chart
. Notes and graphic organizers help students read closely, piece together important details to learn about the storytellers’ cultures, and record information. Check it out here