• This unit is designed to be a research unit for fourth-sixth grade students.
• It is three-pronged in design.
• First, students learn how to research a given topic (Native American tribes). They learn how to use index cards to gather and record facts in given research categories.
• Secondly, they use the information gathered on the notecards to create a rough draft paper using paragraph essay format. Upon completion of the rough draft, a final draft will be completed.
• Third, using their final draft, the student will create a PowerPoint slide presentation of his/her final draft paper.
• The slide show will incorporate information from his/her research paper as well as some graphics and narration for the slide show.
• Students show their slide presentation at spring conferences with parents.
• I have provided a rough draft template for students to use while learning paragraph format. This is just a template and can certainly be modified to fit the needs of your own classroom.