Write Across the Curriculum with this Native American totem pole writing activity!
You and your family live in the Kwakiutl clan in the Northwest Coast. It is the year 1740, the year before you had first contact with European settlers. You have finally finished your totem pole, which tells the story of your family history. You are giving a potlatch to honor the raising of your totem pole outside your home. Write a narrative story telling about the raising of your totem pole and the story behind your carvings. Use the rubric as a guide. Then rate yourself when you are finished with your final copy!
2. Animal Meanings (2 pages)- Student and Teacher Version
3. Website with useful information
4. Game to play
5. Helpful tips and questions to help students find an animal that relates to them.
6. Instructions to prep totem poles and creating them.
7. Animal Faces (7), top of totem pole head, wings, and blank spaces to place their own drawings. (optional)
8. Student and Teacher writing printable. (with rubric)
9. Writing Center Instructions- How to form this Narrative Writing assignment.
11. Graphic Organizer
12. Anchor Charts for (Rockin Beginnings, Transitions words, Million Dollar words (word choice), Jammin Conclusions
STOP RIGHT HERE if you already purchased the Native American Unit because this is already in that resource!
Native American Unit
Thank you for visiting my store!