Included in this product is everything you need to have your students complete a project on a natural disaster. I designed it to use with my 4th graders, but it can easily be used for grades higher than 4th or to challenge 3rd grade students. I had students research a natural disaster in pairs and their projects included a 5-paragraph essay, visual aid, and oral presentation.
*UPDATE* The student directions handout and project grading rubric are now editable. Open the Powerpoint version and click on the document of slides 2 and 7. A text box will appear that you can edit.
Included in this 10-page PDF-file is:
1. Title Page
2. Student directions and expectations for the project
3. List of natural disasters for project choices
4. Planning guide for 5-paragraph essay
5. Sample 5-paragraph essay on hurricanes
6. Grading rubric for essay
7. Grading rubric for presentation of project
8. Picture examples of students’ visual aids for completed projects
9. Common Core standards addressed
10. Credits and Information page
This project aligns with many common core standards. It also requires a lot of technical, nonfiction reading that the common core recommends.
4th Grade Common Core Standards Addressed:
Key Ideas and Details
Range of Reading and Level of Text Complexity
Production and Distribution of Writing
Research to Build and Present Knowledge
Presentation of Knowledge and Ideas