Kids love learning about natural disasters so use this engaging topic to help them work on important research and writing skills. This natural disasters research project guides your students through all the steps, from brainstorming to reflection. This science project based learning activity is a great cross-curricular activity your students will love.
Researching natural disasters gives kids a chance to dig deeper into a topic of interest. They can learn about the research and report writing process and a particular natural disaster. This series of lessons introduces students to informational texts and how to use these texts to find information about natural disasters to write a report. Students will then work on consolidating information and report writing.
This resource includes both a printable and digital option. The perfect way to incorporate technology standards or use with distance learning. The digital project is a Google Slides that is ready to assign using a share link or Google Classroom. Teacher sharing instructions are included.
Please see the preview to view a sample of the natural disasters research project.
Natural Disasters Research Project Target Skills:
- Understand that reports are used to describe
- Use information texts to collect facts about natural disasters
- Write a report to explain a natural disaster.
Natural Disasters Research Project includes:
- 6 Guided Research Activities
- Take students from brainstorming to the final research project
- Printable PDF of all activities
- Digital option for all activities on Google Slides
- Reflection Self-Assessment and Peer-Assessment
Natural Disasters Project Based Learning:
The culmination of the series of lessons is for the students to act as reporters for the 'National Geographic Magazine.' With this in mind, the students are required to design a section about a chosen natural disaster to be included in a magazine. Their sections need to include: a cover page, title page, contents page, bibliography, report and a choice of either pictures, labeled diagram, map or eyewitness account.
What Teachers Are Saying:
- “Awesome product! This was a wonderful resource that helped me to walk my students through the process of writing a thorough, detailed, and well-researched report.”
- “Perfect for the Common Core standards I was hoping to achieve with a Natural Disaster research report! Thank you!”
- “A completely scaffolded unit that further develops students inquiry processes.”
- “Fantastic and I found the sections on peer feedback brilliant. For schools in NSW looking at Feedback in your School Plans, I found this excellent.”
- “I love how this is set up, and how it integrates a self-assessment! Will be using with my Year 4s to assess English and Science.”
More Fun and Engaging Activities:
- Myths & Legends Research Project
- Physical Education Resource Kit
- Printable Lesson Plan Templates
- Spelling Activities for Any List of Words
Remember, leaving feedback earns you points toward FREE TPT purchases.