Natural Hazards - Earth and Human Activity - Analyzing and Interpreting Data
What educators are saying
Also included in
- This bundle is for the Earth and Human Activity Strand for Middle School Science. Students should understand the impacts of humans on natural resources, the impacts of natural hazards on humans, and the impacts of human activity on Earth processes. ✅ Save 20% by purchasing as a bundle! This bundlePrice $31.60Original Price $39.50Save $7.90
- This Bundle for Utah SEEd 8th grade includes science resources for each strand and standard. Each unit included addresses specific Utah SEEd standards for 8th grade. Students will love these engaging activities for Utah SEEd 8th Grade. You will love saving time by having someone creating resources wPrice $106.00Original Price $132.50Save $26.50
- Do you want to save time in planning for middle school science? This Middle School Science Bundle addresses all the DCIs for Middle School NGSS. This is a huge resource that addresses all the NGSS standards for Middle School Science! Save 30% by purchasing this bundle! Get back to the fun of teachinPrice $296.31Original Price $418.80Save $122.49
- This is a bundle for 7th Grade: NGSS Integrated Model. This bundle covers the PEs and standards for NGSS for 7th grade in California and other states using the NGSS Integrated Model. Purchase of this bundle will save you 20% on these science resources. If your state uses the integrated model, you nePrice $99.80Original Price $124.75Save $24.95
- This is a 6th-grade bundle for Earth Science. If you are in a school that divides the strands of science by grade level and sixth grade teaches Earth Science, then you need this bundle! This bundle will save you 20% and will cover all the Earth Science Standards for 6th grade. This includes Earth SPrice $115.20Original Price $143.75Save $28.55
- Do you teach 6th-grade science in South Carolina? This bundle is a year-long set for 6th grade South Carolina based on the South Carolina College and Career Readiness standards. My resources include phenomena, Science and Engineering Practices, and Crosscutting Concepts. Students will love the variePrice $97.20Original Price $121.50Save $24.30
Do you need to teach about Natural Hazards? This resource has students analyzing and interpreting data on natural hazards. This resource includes a slide show on natural hazards and natural disasters. Students will analyze data from maps to look for patterns. Students will look at how scientists use data to mitigate the effects of natural hazards. Natural hazards such as earthquakes, tsunamis, storms, floods, wildfires, volcanic eruptions, and the spreading of infectious diseases will be discussed. This is a HUGE Resource with over 70 slides and pages!
This resource includes:
- A slide show on natural hazards
- Strategic notetaking guide on the slide show
- Five pages of informational text
- Response pages
- Interactive notebook flaps
- Four Map Task Cards
- Analyzing Data Pages
- A hands-on lab
- Lab Page
- Lesson plans
- Suggested Schedule
- Answer keys for everything!
In this unit, we will take an in-depth look at earthquakes. Students will understand how and why earthquakes happen, how scientists study them, and their efforts to mitigate earthquake damage.
This unit also has a lesson on the Global Pandemic Covid 19. Students will look at data from around the world and analyze it. If you feel this topic is too sensitive for your students to study, you can skip these two pages.
Information about the Ring of Fire and plate tectonics about volcanic activity and earthquakes will also be studied.
Climate change as a factor in natural hazards such as drought, superstorms, wildfires, and floods is discussed.
Teachers Love This Resource! ❤️❤️❤️
Aileen ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
"Fantastic resource with engaging activities for natural hazards and disasters. The map work was really engaging and my students were interested. The labs were also great and went along nicely with the unit. LOVED the reading passages included. Really helpful."
This resource is designed to address the following standards:
✅ NGSS MS-ESS3-2.
Analyze and interpret data on natural hazards to forecast future catastrophic events and inform the development of technologies to mitigate their effects. [Clarification Statement: Emphasis is on how some natural hazards, such as volcanic eruptions and severe weather, are preceded by phenomena that allow for reliable predictions, but others, such as earthquakes, occur suddenly and with no notice, and thus are not yet predictable. Examples of natural hazards can be taken from interior processes (such as earthquakes and volcanic eruptions), surface processes (such as mass wasting and tsunamis), or severe weather events (such as hurricanes, tornadoes, and floods). Examples of data can include the locations, magnitudes, and frequencies of the natural hazards. Examples of technologies can be global (such as satellite systems to monitor hurricanes or forest fires) or local (such as building basements in tornado-prone regions or reservoirs to mitigate droughts).]
✅ Utah SEEd Standard 8.4.5
Analyze and interpret of the occurrence of natural hazards to forecast future catastrophic events, and investigate how data is used to develop technologies to mitigate their effects. Emphasize how some natural hazards, such as volcanic eruptions and severe weather, are preceded by phenomena that allow prediction, but others, such as earthquakes, may occur without warning. (ESS3.B)
See the preview for more details!
Save 20% by purchasing as part of this bundle Earth and Human Activity for Middle School
These resources are created by Lynda R. Williams at Teaching Science
Follow me and get news of my new resources. Each new resource I post is discounted by 50% for the first 24 hours! If you follow me, you will get an alert that I have a new resource and an opportunity to purchase at a discount.
If you have questions about my resources, you can email me at email@example.com
* My resources, including the slide shows, are secure and not editable for copyright reasons.
You will love my other resources for middle school science!
Exothermic and Endothermic Reactions
Thermal Energy and Particle Motion
Waves: Transmission, Absorption, and Reflection