A packet of activities and resources for an engaging unit on animals and animal adaptations. The packet contains all of the resources below. Aligns to NGSS 4-ESS3-1 and NGSS 5-ESS2-2.
1. Where is the Water on Earth? A teacher led demonstration with student activity sheets that shows the distribution of the world’s water (ocean, ice caps, ground water, rivers and lakes). Includes template for a pie chart that shows the proportions of land, ocean, and fresh water.
2. Chocolate Chip Mining. A fun hands-on activity where students simulate mining “coal” chocolate chips from cookies! Directions and student activity worksheet provided where students calculate the costs associated with mining which includes fines for environmental damage. This resource also offers document camera notes and images on coal: simply print and use.
3. Renewable or Nonrenewable Sort Cards 24 sort cards for renewable and nonrenewable energy. With student recording sheet and answer key.
4. Renewable and Nonrenewable Worksheets set includes a matching worksheet, renewable and nonrenewable Venn Diagram, energy resource comparative chart, crossword puzzle, and a T-chart. Answer keys included.
5. Energy Pie Charts a template for a pie chart that shows the percentages of energy use in the US.
6. Water Filtration Columns students construct water filtration columns using simple materials. Students can measuring how fast water can flow through each column. The packet also includes an inquiry activity where students filter a vinegar solution to determine if filtering can remove acid (litmus or pH paper required).
7. Solar Pizza Box Oven Instructions to make a oven out of a pizza box that uses the energy of the sun. Recipes for smores, nachos, and mini-pizzas are provided.
Copyright © Dr. Dave’s Science. All rights reserved by author. This product is strictly for individual use and may not be copied or given to other teachers. Copying any part of this product and placing it on the Internet in any form (including a personal/classroom website) is strictly forbidden and is a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA)