I have designed this task to serve as a culminating activity for the unit on natural resource acquisition and human activity. This task will challenge the students to think about how to use data build their arguments. You can use this task in a lesson sequence that follows cookie mining modeling activity which can be widely found on the internet.
• NGSS. HS-ESS3-2. Evaluate competing design solutions for developing, managing, and utilizing energy and mineral resources based on cost-benefit ratios.
• CC.9-12.S.IC.6 Make inferences and justify conclusions from sample surveys, experiments, and observational studies. Evaluate reports based on data.
• CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RST.9-10.1 Cite specific textual evidence to support analysis of science and technical texts, attending to the precise details of explanations or descriptions.
• CCSS.ELA-Literacy.WHST.9-10.1 Write arguments focused on discipline-specific content.
Key Vocab: Costs, Earning, Profit, Land Reclamation, Natural Resources, Mining.
How to use this Task:
1. Make class set copies of the data document and claim evidence reasoning recording sheets.
2. Assign students to work in groups of two.
3. Assign the question(s) to the groups. Here you can use student choice. Or assign 1 question per group (I have used this option so that students can then trade and peer-evaluate each other’s conclusions). Or assign 2 questions per group
4. Give students directions: Their task is to figure out the answer to their research question based on the data provided in the data document. Students then will create a scientific explanation using claims, evidence and reasoning.
5. Evaluate student explanations using CER rubric or peer-assessment rubrics.
Zip File Includes PDF and Editable Word Document.