Students will investigate the effect of natural selection on finches with different beaks. Students are given a tool to use as their beak. They will have to collect food (sunflower seeds) in order to survive and hopefully reproduce. Each round we will record how many of each beak type survive and reproduce. After 4 rounds students will use the data to graph, analyze, and write a conclusion from. This Lab is a great opportunity to have your students write a formal lab report if that is a skill you wish to practice with them. This is an excellent lab to help your students understand how evolution is caused by natural selection, and is great to use in a classroom with limited space and materials, because you don’t need much!
Do not purchase if you have already purchased my Evolution Unit Bundle, Biology Complete Curriculum Bundle,
or Biology Activities Bundle
because you already have this product!
How can I use this?
• Practice for understanding of evolution by natural selection
• As an inquiry investigation before providing any instruction on natural selection
What is included?
A PDF document with:
• 3 pages of teacher implementation notes
• 3 pages of student handouts
• Answer Key
How much class time will this take?
This lab tends to takes approximately 45 minutes to complete set-up and data collection, and then an additional 30-45 minutes to complete the graph, analysis and conclusion, which can be done in class or at home.
What if I want more?
This product is part of my Evolution Unit bundle. Be sure to check it out by clicking HERE!
What if I have a question?
Email me at email@example.com I’d love to answer any questions you have!
How do I stay updated on new products, sales, and freebies?
**Follow Me** by clicking the green star by my store name. I add new products often so this is the best way to keep up with what’s happening at It’s Not Rocket Science!
• Use this item for your own classroom, students, or for your own personal use.
• Buy additional licenses for others to use this product at 50% off by visiting your TpT “My Purchases” page.
• Review this product to recommend others buy it in blog posts, at professional development workshops, or other venues as long as credit is given to my store with a direct link to my store/product.
You may not...
• Upload this product to any website or server – even one for your classroom.
• Give this product to others without the purchase of an additional license for them (this includes emailing, printing copies, or sharing through a website, cloud or other network.)
• Copy or modify any part of this document to offer others for free or for sale.