This lesson plan uses a poem and class discussion to help students witness how incomplete data and bias can impact scientific inferences. Included you will find a lesson overview, learning targets, materials list, step by step procedure and student handouts.
Nature of Science concepts addressed include:
1. The difference between observations and inferences.
2. Interpretations may be limited by the completeness of the data.
3. Background experiences may affect the interpretations of observations, resulting in non-scientific conclusions.
4. Science is uncertain and changing.
5. Observing several smaller pieces of reality may not always equal total reality when all are combined together.
6. Collaboration leads to more reliable knowledge.