The following is a bundle of two, 75-minute period lessons/worksheets on the rise of Adolf Hitler and the changes he brought to Germany. These worksheets include a variety of activities that promote class discussion and critical thinking skills. Save $1.00 by purchasing this bundle instead of each individual worksheet!
The Rise of Adolf Hitler - Global/World History Common Core
This is an incredibly engaging common core-based lesson about the failures of the Weimar Republic after World War I and the eventual rise of Adolf Hitler. This worksheet includes a variety of student-centered activities designed to develop critical thinking skills and foster class discussion.
• Do now – students access prior knowledge about the Treaty of Versailles and the way it punished Germany.
• Secondary source reading about the Weimar Republic
• Art analysis of several paintings from the era to understand the problems Germany was facing.
• Election of Chancellor activity - Students will pretend to be a citizen of Germany voting to choose a new Chancellor. Three options (without names) are given and students vote. Invariably, most students choose the candidate that turns out to be Hitler. This is an incredible moment where students understand how someone like Hitler could come to power.
• Primary source analysis of Mein Kampf – critical thinking questions follow.
• Tremendous amount of discussion opportunities.
• Over 10 comprehension and critical thinking questions included!
• 11 slide PowerPoint presentation including the aim, photographs, charts paintings, and other images
• Lesson plan – step-by-step teacher moves to make implementation easier.
• Answer key for all questions.
Hitler and the New Germany - Global/World History Common Core
• Do now – Hitler quote analysis
• Analysis of Nazi propaganda/Hitler quotes – critical thinking and thought provoking questions follow.
• Secondary source readings about the Third Reich & the Hitler Youth.
• Creation of an acrostic poem based on the worksheet readings
• analysis of a 15-minute clip from Triumph of the Will by Leni Riefenstahl (clip not included, but typically available on YouTube or for purchase on Amazon)
• wrap up role play activity where students pretend to be different members of Germany society and respond to the changes that took place.
• Enormous amount of discussion opportunities!
NEW! Answer key included!
Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns. Follow me to receive notifications for newly uploaded products. If you have a moment, please rate this bundle. Thank you!
I also offer both of these lessons bundled with several others from the interwar period...
Bundle #10 - Interwar Period - Rise of Fascism - Global/World History
Please see each individual worksheet for the common core standards that apply.