Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing. How to unzip files.
13.98 MB | 11 pages
New Kids on the Block - 54 Game Cards provide a fun activity for students to get to know each other better and feel welcome at their new school. The game is intended to be used with elementary school students. Your purchase includes:
• New Kids on the Block Card Backs (1 page)
• New Kids on the Block Card Fronts (9 pages)
To create your game, copy the cards front and back on card stock. Be careful to make sure that the green card back is on the other side of the green card front and the same with blue and purple. After copying, you will have 54 unique “get to know you” cards. The card deck has 3 categories of questions:1) Questions about school, 2) Questions about the student, and 3) Fun impressions & movement cards. Next, using a tumble block towers game such as Jenga, number each block 1,2,or 3 with a permanent marker. You will have 18 blocks with the #1, 18 blocks with the #2, and 18 blocks with the #3.
To play the New Kids on the Block game, stack the numbered tower of blocks as usual to play. As students pull out a numbered block, they choose a card from that corresponding number pile #1 - purple, #2 - blue, and #3 - green. Students will then answer the question. After answering, they will place their block on top of the tower. Continue playing until the tower tumbles.
An alternate version is to just use the cards shuffled and not use the tumble tower blocks.
Some examples of questions:
Questions about School
1. What is the name of your teacher?
2. What are our school colors?
3. Name one person you have met at our school.
4. If you could change anything about school, what would it be?
5. What is your biggest worry coming to our school?
Questions about the Student
1. How many brothers & sisters do you have?
2. What is your favorite food to eat?
3. What is your favorite color?
4. If you were granted 1 wish, what would it be?
5. What are you proudest of in your life?
Fun Impressions & Movement
1. Hop on your foot the number of years old you are.
2. Spin as many times as your grade in school..
3. Pat your head and rub your stomach at the same time.
4. Show us your best dance move.
5. Act out your favorite thing to do.
Brought to you by the Creative Counselor Blog and Creative Counseling Resources