This set of editable documents is most appropriate for a new Montessori teacher (early childhood, 3-6 yrs). I have compiled a set of classroom communication items and teacher guides that I found helpful when I first started teaching in a Montessori setting.
I bundled them and kept them editable (Microsoft Word) so that you can tailor them to fit your environment and meet your needs. Please note, I have kept them in their original formats, so they are not “fancy,” but hopefully they are useful to you as you begin teaching. Remember to modify the documents to fit YOUR classroom and school.
Below is a list of the items in this bundle:
• Beginning of the Year Classroom Information (1 page). This information sheet may be given to parents during a parent orientation or included in a welcome letter sent over the summer.
• Car Line/Visor Name Card Instructions (1 page). This explains the visor name card that I pass out to all parents at the beginning of the year. The child’s first name is included in large, bold print on a name card. This name card is put on the passenger-side visor (facing out; attached with rubber bands) and flipped down during the car pick-up line. Therefore, I can see whose car is coming next in the car line and have the child (or several children) ready to load in a timely manner.
• Classroom Maintenance Checklist (1 page). This weekly checklist of classroom maintenance items is handy to give to classroom assistants.
• Classroom Schedule (2 pages). These one page documents list possible schedules of activities for the class and is shared with parents or prospective families. Of course, modify as needed.
• Games and Songs (3 pages). This is a compilation of some of my favorite short games or songs to do during group time. I keep this list handy for those times when I need a short “filler” activity.
• Group or Line Routine (3 pages). I used this outline or “script” when I first started teaching to help me organize large group time. It includes ideas for walking on the line, calendar/weather, silence, etc.
• Hello Songs (1 page). This is a short compilation of possible “hello” or greeting songs.
• Montessori Birthday Celebration (2 pages). This document outlines a possible procedure for the Montessori birthday celebration. It also includes a parent letter describing the upcoming event.
• Number Parent Training (2 pages). I use this document as a training guide and handout for the parents who volunteer each week to help the children with sandpaper numbers and counting.
• Parent Helper Sign Up (1 page). I post this on my bulletin board at the beginning of the year so that parents can sign up for various volunteer roles in my classroom.
• Songs for Transitions (1 page). This is a compilation of short songs to help children transition from one activity to another.
• Sound Parent Training (1 page). I use this document as a training guide and handout for the parents who volunteer each week to help the children with sandpaper letters and letter-sound association.
Feel free to add/modify these documents to make them your own! I hope you find them helpful! Happy teaching!