NINE New World Explorers Lessons featuring Nonfiction Informational Text with a balanced mix of engaging hands-on activities + SIXTEEN INTERACTIVE NOTEBOOK ASSIGNMENTS to focus on Explorers of the New World:
Giovanni da Verrazano
Sir Francis Drake
Samuel de Champlain
Robert La Salle
The Future of New France
NEW WORLD EXPLORERS ACTIVITIES:
• Questions after each lesson to assess Informational Text Comprehension
• Thought-provoking Discussion Questions to stimulate Critical Thinking
• Thematic Mapping Skills to make a map of Samuel de Champlain's Voyages
• Scale Mapping to measure the distance of Henry Hudson's Voyages
• Differentiating between Primary and Secondary Sources
• KWLH Charts with Follow-Up Questions
• Expository and Creative Writing Practice~we provide all Outlines and Checklists
• New World Explorer Vocabulary Quizzes
Students will practice Functional Text Comprehension by following written directions to make a miniature Viking ship. All patterns and step-by-step instructions included!
Students will then use the New World Explorers Content to complete SIXTEEN Interactive Notebook Assignments (all patterns and step-by-step instructions included!):
• TWO Vocabulary Booklets
• TWO One-Pocket Vocabulary Organizers
• TWO Vocabulary Cootie Catchers with Two-Pocket Organizers
• TWO Vocabulary Flaps
• ONE Vocabulary Foldable
• Leif Erikson Journal Page and Interactive Booklet
• John Cabot Web and Cube Foldable
• Giovanni da Verrazano Accordion Foldable
• Jacques Cartier Interactive Time Line
• Samuel de Champlain Pocket Time Line
• Future of New France Four-Fold Organizer
New World Explorers, aligned with the 3rd-5th Grade Common Core READING, WRITING, and LANGUAGE Standards (see Preview for Standard Alignment), is one of NINE units in our American History Bundle. Purchase this Unit separately or save money by purchasing the entire Common Core-aligned AMERICAN HISTORY ULTIMATE INTERACTIVE NOTEBOOK BUNDLE
We've included a context-appropriate New World Explorers Glossary, Grading Rubrics for the Writing and Interactive Notebook assignments, and Answer Pages.
Download the New World Explorers Preview to see the complete Table of Contents, Lesson Plans, Common Core Alignment, sample lessons, and activities.
OUR OTHER COMMON CORE ALIGNED AMERICAN HISTORY UNITS:
SPANISH EXPLORERS INTERACTIVE NOTEBOOK UNIT
13 COLONIES INTERACTIVE NOTEBOOK UNIT
AMERICAN GOVERNMENT INTERACTIVE NOTEBOOK UNIT
AMERICAN REVOLUTION INTERACTIVE NOTEBOOK UNIT
SLAVERY INTERACTIVE NOTEBOOK UNIT
CIVIL WAR INTERACTIVE NOTEBOOK UNIT
WESTWARD EXPANSION INTERACTIVE NOTEBOOK UNIT
WORLD WAR I INTERACTIVE NOTEBOOK UNIT
AMERICAN HISTORY ULTIMATE INTERACTIVE NOTEBOOK BUNDLE
Splash! Publications. Created by Teachers. It Just Makes Sense.
RATING NEW WORLD EXPLORERS EARNS YOU TPT CREDITS TO USE TOWARD FUTURE PURCHASES AND GIVES US A WARM FUZZY FEELING!
(c) 2011-Splash! Publications. Permission is granted to original purchasers to reproduce material as designated only for classroom use. No other part of this work may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means including information storage and retrieval systems without written permission from the publisher, except by a reviewer, who may quote brief passages in a review.
The Common Core Standards were developed and written by the NGA. © Copyright 2010. National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and Council of Chief State School Officers. All rights reserved.