New Years 2023 Cell Phone Art Activity, Goal Setting and Resolutions
What educators are saying
Also included in
- Kickstart New Year 2023! Bring 'cool' into your classroom with these New Years art and writing activities, ideal for exploring goal setting and resolutions in a creative and fun way.Save 25% with this imaginative bundle. Perfect for first-week back activities and as art-specific or self-reflectionPrice $9.50Original Price $12.70Save $3.20
- Combine art and writing to kickstart New Year 2023. A perfect bundle of January activities to encourage students to reflect on 2022 and set their goals for 2023 in a cool, creative and engaging way.Save 25% with this imaginative bundlePlease click on the bundle preview to see an detailed overview ofPrice $18.30Original Price $24.40Save $6.10
Kickstart New Year 2023 in your classroom!
This fun fold-out cell phone art and writing activity is a cool way to encourage students to reflect on 2022, set new goals, and make resolutions for 2023.
Engage students creatively with this relatable New Years, All About Me' Instagram-style cell phone construction, art, and writing resource.
Please click on the detailed preview to see the resource in full.
Ideal for use as a first-week back activity or as an art-specific or self-reflection lesson.
Invite students to cut out and make their own fold-out booklet style art-phone, and complete the image-making on the front cover and the writing prompt elements inside.
Choose from a selection of 'phone cases' or back covers to complete the activity.
I will update this activity each year, so you will be able to download free updates if you would like to continue to use the activity beyond 2023.
What's included in this New Year Activity?
1. The front cover of the activity:
Invite students to respond to and illustrate the 9 questions or prompts, with thumbnail doodles or drawings:
Happy New Year, Fireworks, Balloons, a New Year Brings, Year of the Rabbit 2-0-2-3
2. The fold-out inside pages:
2022, Looking Back, is designed in a text message style, and asks 4 questions:
- What is your best ever memory of 2022?
- What is the most important thing you learned about yourself last year?
- Did you try a new sport or do something that really challenged you?
- What would you like to leave behind in 2022?
2023, Looking Forward, prompts the following:
- My top 5 goals
- My wish for 2023
- My no.1 resolution
- Open-ended questions to complete, I imagine that…. I plan to….
3. The phone case or back cover:
- Choose from a selection of writing and coloring templates, including 'Turn Off Your Phone'.
- This activity presents a creative setting to discuss appropriate cell phone use, safety, etc for students who now own their own phones.
4. Additional printables:
- Get Set For 2023 garland to decorate and display
- Large 2023 letters for students to decorate and display
- Photographed examples to display and use for inspiration
- Doodle pages and bookmarks for early finishers
- Clear visual construction instructions
- Cell phone size 4.8 x 9.8 inches
- Each individual drawing square measures 1.5 x 1.5 inches
- Suitable for Canada/ UK/ NZ/ Australia spellings
What materials will I need?:
- Heavyweight paper / card stock for printing
- Scissors and glue stick
- Pens / pencils / colored marker pens for the artwork and written work
- String and pegs for garland
Considerations and how to use this activity:
- Encourage students to move beyond words, and 'draw their answers'
- Consider the space around the images they draw
- How do the 9 images look collectively?
- Is there an emerging theme or style or color?
- What colors do we associate with words? eg fireworks: red, orange, yellow
- How do students feel about the first week back to school?
- It’s OK to express dislikes as well as likes, our fears along with our hopes
- The completed phones look great pegged up collectively as a classroom garland or can decorate a wall, door, or bulletin board.
You might like to view my popular Back To School / All About Me resources here:
Back to School, All About Me Resources
View further New Year activities here:
New Year, Chinese New Year Resources
Follow my store on TPT to receive notification of new products, where I will be offering a 50% discount for the first 48 hours after they are posted.
How can I use this resource with my students?
- End December 2022 in a positive, forward-thinking way
- Use as an engaging first-week-back activity for January 2023
- Encourage students to reflect, plan and set goals
- Explore hopes and dreams for the future
- Acknowledge challenges and find solutions
- Generate lively group discussion
- Create an impressive display for a positive environment
- Build creative confidence
- This makes a handy, print-and-go sub plan
- Add to a New Year unit
Happy teacher feedback
Christina R says, “My students absolutely loved this resource. It was a wonderful back from winter break activity for them to do. I look forward to using it for years to come, They personalized their phones and were excited to set new goals for the new year."
Sheena K says, "This was the perfect beginning activity to 2022! My students loved the thinking, discussion, and creativity they were able to participate in."
Mrs. S says, "My students loved this activity! It was so fun to get goals with them and they kept their "cell phones" taped to their desk the rest of the year!"
I do hope you have fun with this resource!
You may like to view these creative seasonal resources:
New Years 2023 Selfies Art and Writing
FREE Year of the Rabbit 2023 Art Activity
New Year and Chinese New Year Art Activities
Like my work? Please stay in touch!
Don’t forget to leave feedback on resources - you will earn points towards your next TPT purchases :-)
Please contact me if you have any questions regarding this resource, I am always keen to help,
Copyright ©The ImaginationBox/Diane Pagan 2022.
All rights reserved by the author.
Permission to copy for single classroom use only