No matter what grade I taught, and there were many(!) my students really enjoyed doing a Venn diagram. This activity appeals to a variety of ages & grade levels & is easily diversified to fit your needs.
I love them because they are a quick, easy and fun way to introduce and practice, comparison and contrast, plus the graphic aspect, is perfect for my visual learners.
Students can do these Venn diagrams independently, or pick a partner and complete one together.
There are 17 different Venn diagrams in the packet, plus I changed the header on the “head” pattern Venn diagrams, so that you can also use them any time of the year!
They are especially appropriate for Back To School as a getting to know you icebreaker. (More bang for your buck!)
* Compare the American New Year with the Chinese New Year
* 6 “head” options for comparing your New Year celebration with a Venn friend
* Compare the Tournament of Roses Parade with the Macy’s Day Parade (One of my students’ personal favorites).
I’ve also included 6 additional writing prompts to go with that, as well as a worksheet for them to write on.
* Comparing last year, with things you did and learned, with the New Year and the things you want to do and learn.
* Comparing this year with last year.
* Comparing this year with a year way in the past (Perhaps the year you were born), or another historical year.
* Comparing the New Year with a year way in the future, using your imagination of what you think things will be like.
* Comparing what you did this New Year’s Eve, versus what you did last year.
* Comparing what children do for New Years, versus what their parents do.
* Comparing this New Year’s resolutions with resolutions of the past years.
Plus these Venn diagrams that serve double duty, as you can also use them in the fall:
* Last year at this time I was . . . This year I am . . .
* Compare last year’s grade with this year’s grade
* 6 “head” options for “Comparing myself with a Venn friend”. (Also great for Martin Luther King Day, for a “We are all different, yet we are all the same.” theme).
Completed projects also make a sweet bulletin board too.
I’m Diane from Teach With Me, hoping your students enjoy making Venn diagrams as much as mine do.
Wishing you a safe and healthy New Year.
Don’t forget that all of my new products are 40% off for 48 hours.
Click this LINK to follow my shop & you'll be notified of these huge savings.