PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
This New Year's lockbox activity will engage and challenge your students, while building teamwork and developing critical thinking skills.
WANT TO SAVE MONEY?
This Lockbox Challenge is now part of a Lockbox Challenge Holiday/Seasonal BUNDLE. Get 10 seasonal/holiday Lockbox Challenges for one low price.
PLEASE NOTE: Lock boxes (1 large and 1 small) and locks are required for this activity. Please see the preview for pictures of the locks needed. You will not be able to use this resource without the following supplies.
1. large lock box with latch
2. small lock box with latch
3. hasp (or other method for attaching locks to box)
4. 5-letter lock
5. 4 digit number lock
6. key lock
7. 3 digit number lock
8. directional lock
9. 4-letter lock
10. invisible ink pen
11. UV flashlight
12. an envelope
The students may also need access to a computer (Chromebook, iPad, etc) that has Internet access in order to find dates for the Dance Party! challenge.
A color printer will be needed for many of the printable pages in this resource.
In this Lockbox Challenge, students will need to break into a box to save New Year's.
Great Aunt Gertrude is so nice! She pays everyone in the family ten dollars for every New Year's resolution they fulfill during the previous year! You have been especially excited for her visit this year because there are ten check marks on your list. All you have to do is show her your list, along with some evidence of each completed resolution, and you will have one hundred dollars to put in your wallet! The only problem is that the list and evidence are locked in the family safe and Great Aunt Gertrude's taxi will arrive in an hour! Will you get into the safe in time?
There are 6 different challenges included in this resource. Each task will require logical reasoning and critical thinking skills. All the printable materials for each task are included, with an easy-to-read reference sheet that outlines the lock codes and setup for each challenge. The following challenges are included:
1. Pam's Outfits- Students must make an organized list or diagram to determine the number of possible clothing combinations for different outfits that Pam can wear in the new year. Once they find the possible number, they will plug this number into a riddle that will reveal the answer to the 5-letter lock.
2. New Year's Monsters- Students will solve a complex math problem involving addition and 2-digit multiplication. The final solution will open the 4 digit number lock.
3. Phone Code- Students will decipher a code, using the numbers and letters on a phone. The secret message will reveal the location of the key for the key lock.
4. Receipt Challenge- Students will help Mr. and Mrs. Clark find and total the receipts from their evening of New Year's fun. A second clue will tell them to round that amount to the nearest dollar. That rounded number is the code for the 3 digit number lock.
5. Emoji Squares- Students must place together 4 squares so that equations (division, multiplication, addition) with like solutions match up, paying careful attention to the order of operations. Once placed correctly, an invisible ink clue will give another hint about how to use the emoji party hats to unlock the directional lock.
6. Dance Party!- Students will solve a logic puzzle to determine the arrival time and style of dance for each of four people at a New Year's dance party. This information, combined with four more clue cards, will reveal the answer to the 4-letter lock.
Answer keys are included for each challenge.
The initial setup of a Lockbox Challenge is a bit of a time investment, but I have worked hard to make it as easy as possible for you with detailed directions that include pictures. Once the challenges are set up and the locks are in place, you will be amazed by the level of engagement, degree of teamwork, and problem solving that unfolds. This makes it all worth while. :-)
Reward certificates (in black line or color) are included to place inside the box.
Thank you for considering my New Year's Lockbox Challenge!
You may also be interested in: