This New Year's Unit & Activities for Middle School and High School is the PERFECT and easiest way to bring in the New Year with your students!
This unit and activities are focused around the short story "Thank You, M'am" by Langston Hughes. This short story is perfect to read at the start of a new year as it focuses on fresh starts and new beginnings - just as the new year does for most people! This is a challenging, yet fun, evidence-based unit that requires students to provide logic and argumentation for their claims.
We have also included teacher notes for your use to help you more effectively teach this unit. (Please note due to copyright law, we cannot provide you with the complete text.)
Activities include work with inference skills, logic, argumentation, critical analysis and thinking, characterization, theme, and point of view.
INCLUDED IN THIS UNIT:
- Teacher Notes
- Five Words Preview Activity
- Types of Conflict Activity
- 6 Critical Thinking Questions
- New Year's Resolution Activity
- Haiku Activity
- Thank You Note Activity & Rubric
- Essay Question & Rubric
*PLEASE NOTE: Due to copyright law, we are unable to provide you with the complete text of this short story.
IF YOU LIKE THIS UNIT, YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY:
- New Years Instagram Flip Book Activity
- 30-Day Classroom Community Challenge
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Unit & Activity for Middle School
- Reading Response Choice Board
Also, make sure to follow us to be notified when we upload new resources! We always do a special discount when we release a new resource, so it pays to follow us!