This New Year's Unit & Activities for Middle School and High School is the PERFECT and easiest way to bring in the New Year with your students!
This unit and activities are focused around the short story "Thank You, M'am" by Langston Hughes. This short story is perfect to read at the start of a new year as it focuses on fresh starts and new beginnings - just as the new year does for most people! This is a challenging, yet fun, evidence-based unit that requires students to provide logic and argumentation for their claims.
We have also included small excerpts from the text with teacher annotations for your use. (Please note due to copyright law, we cannot provide you with the complete text. However, the complete text can be found with a simple search online.)
Activities include work with inference skills, logic, argumentation, critical analysis and thinking, characterization, theme, and point of view.
INCLUDED IN THIS UNIT:
- Important Excerpts with Teacher Annotations
- Five Words Preview Activity
- Types of Conflict Activity
- 6 Critical Thinking Questions
- New Year's Resolution Activity
- Haiku Activity
- Thank You Note Activity & Rubric
- Essay Question & Rubric
IF YOU LIKE THIS UNIT, YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY:
- New Years Instagram Flip Book Activity
- 30-Day Classroom Community Challenge
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Unit & Activity for Middle School
- Reading Response Quilt