Last-minute planners rejoice! Here is a highly engaging—yet well structured—writing project for your students to start upon their return from winter break.
This mini-unit walks students through the writing process, from prewriting to publishing, to craft an expository essay about three of their New Year's resolutions for the upcoming year. (See more detailed step-by-step materials below.) Also included are supplemental materials that can serve as resource pages, mini-lesson guides or interactive writer's notebook resources as well as selected teacher exemplar pages to provide students with appropriate models of the various writing stages.
There are many ways you can implement this mini-unit in your own classroom: the resource works well as a comprehensive packet, where students can work through crafting their essays at their own pace, or it can be used to supplement a larger instructional unit or writer's workshop bend. What's most important, though, is that no matter which way you use it, your lessons will be planned... and your students will be writing!
Check out the preview file for the full Table of Contents, but below is a clearer summary of the writing process activities students will complete.
- Expository introduction & breaking down the prompt
- Listing & piling brainstorm
- Outlining body paragraphs
- Writing a strong introduction
- Turning outline to body paragraphs
- Crafting clear conclusions
- Word "upgrades" for stronger vocabulary
- Syntax "surgery" for varied sentence structure & style
- Add & subtract for adding and eliminating
- Spelling practice with homophones
- Verb tense review to maintain consistency
- "Heads & tails" for focus on beginnings & ends of sentences
- Final copy checklist
- Create a cover
- Full & half lined pages with image boxes
Currently - this file is NOT editable. After the New Year, however, I hope to create an editable version of this resource for your convenience!
Check out my blog! www.theclassroombeat.com
Find me on Instagram: @MissAlliegroTeaches