New Year's Traditions around the world: Chile (in Spanish)
A Reading Passage in Spanish about typical New Year's Eve traditions in Chile and their meanings.
This reading includes the following cábalas (traditions for luck):
- Las 12 uvas - (the 12 grapes)
- Dinero en los zapatos - (money in the shoes)
- Las maletas a la medianoche - (the suitcases at midnight)
- El anillo en la copa de champaña - (the ring in the champagne glass)
- Ropa interior amarilla - (yellow underwear)
- Las lentejas - (the lentils)
- Las espigas de trigo - (small bundles of wheat)
- Velas de color - (colored candles)
Also included are four different versions of a chart with a cartoon showing a person trying to do all of these traditions at once.
Two versions of this chart are in full color and two as a black and white outline to make them ink friendly. Of each pair, one is with the words in Spanish pointing to the tradition while the other is with a blank space (a line to write on) where students need to write the word for that tradition.
All content, including the instructions, is completely in Spanish making it ideal for bilingual / dual language classrooms.
Bonus Listening Activity
We have now included a listening activity. The worksheet with the "fill the blank" activity can now be used in conjunction with the audio on our YouTube channel so they can complete the spaces with the information they hear in the video. It can also be used with the normal reading passage where they can read it while listening.
Note: The audio of the listening only appears on our YouTube channel. The recording is spoken by a native Spanish speaker.
Here is the audio that accompanies the short stories. It will also give you an idea of the content and level of these short reading passages: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVxWzf2Xijo
CONTENT: This contains 17 Pages:
- Teacher Guide - (2 pages)
- Reading - Cábalas de Año Nuevo en Chile - (1 page)
An explanation of each tradition and why it is done
- Listening activity - Fill the blanks - (1 page)
- Comprehension Questions - Multiple Choice - (1 page)
- Comprehension Questions - True or False - (1 page)
- Comprehension Questions - Match the meaning - (1 page)
- Writing prompt - (1 page)
- Teacher Answers - (5 pages)
- Chart - Color with text - (1 page)
- Chart - Color without text - (1 page)
- Chart - Black and White Outline with text - (1 page)
- Chart - Black and White Outline without text - (1 page)
You may also be interested in our reading passage about celebrating New Year in Valparaiso, Chile which includes 4 photos of the city.
Click Follow Me (or the green star at the top) to receive a message whenever we post any new items (and also whenever we have sales).
¡Qué tengas buen día!
Angélica y Rob W.