A set of ‘Park the car’ activity sheets for sight words from magenta to orange.
A great hands-on literacy activity that will engage many of your students (particularly your boys).
* Words are written with the NZ Basic Script font.
* Car parks are provided in both colour and black/white. (see photos)
* Two blank templates are provided for you to make up your own car park of words.
* You will need to provide your own toy cars, however there are some included that you can print, cut and laminate if necessary.
This activity can be played and adapted to however works best for you and your students. Two examples are:
♦ Students play in pairs and take alternate turns. Person A says “Park your car on the word did”. Person B ‘drives’ their toy car and parks on the word. Person A checks and confirms if it was correct parking or not. Students could receive a ’point’ for each one they get correct or you could simply make it non-competitive.
♦ Students play in pairs and take alternate turns. Person A drives their car into a space and says “I parked my car on the word did”. Person B checks and replies “True” or “False”. The person parking the car can try to trick the other player.
• More than one car park can be lined up to make it more challenging.
• You can send a ‘car park’ home with your students as an alternate way of reinforcing sight word learning at home.
• For reluctant readers they may feel more encouraged to participate if they get to bring in a toy car from home to use. Perhaps link it to a writing activity as well.
• It doesn’t have to be a toy car … it could be a truck, motorbike, horse etc.
High frequency words align to the NZ reading colour wheel:
♦ magenta (25 words - 3 activity boards)
♦ red (28 words - 3 activity boards)
♦ yellow (31 words - 4 activity boards)
♦ blue (37 words - 4 activity boards)
♦ green (49 words – 5 activity boards)
♦ orange (63 words – 7 activity boards)
I like going is mum look the am said to at went in me here my on dad a and come up can sat for
we get put with go no they today was where you she he this are will as too not but likes down big it little see so looked
when came one it’s make an all back day into oh out play ran do take that then there him saw his got looking of yes mother from her baby father
have help here’s home let need again laugh soon talked could had find end making under very were your walk girl about don’t last what now goes because next than fun bag coming did or cake run
always good walked know please them use want feel just left best house old their right over love still took thank you school much brother sister round another myself new some asked called made people children away water how Mrs if I’m Mr who didn’t can’t after our time most
man think long things wanted eat everyone two thought dog well more I’ll tree shouted us other food through way been stop must red door sea these began boy animals never work first lots that’s gave something bed may found live say night small three head town I’ve around every garden fast only many laughed let’s suddenly told word forgot better bring push
Word List Acknowledgement:
© Suzanne Welch Teaching Resources
Earn TpT credits by providing feedback on this product after you purchase it. These credits can be used to lower the cost of your future purchases.
Follow me by clicking on the green star next to my store logo. You will receive notifications about upcoming sales in my store, my new products, freebies, etc.