This PowerPoint contains two lessons that build oral vocabulary and phonemic awareness by blending onsets and rimes. The lessons feature detailed illustrations and animated graphics to support comprehension of vocabulary and concepts. Each lesson has 21 slides organized in incremental steps with methodical repeated practices.
In each lesson, the child will
• preview and review vocabulary, and
• blend onsets and rimes in one-syllable words using letter blocks.
Lesson 9: ball, bag, cat, car
Lesson 10: man, moon, sock, sun
The activities are aligned to the following standards:
Common Core: ELA: Kindergarten
RF.2.2c: Blend and segment onsets and rimes of single-syllable words.
Also: RF.1.1a, RF.1.1b, RF.2.2d, RF.4.4, L.1.1b
Texas Education Knowledge and Skills: ELA: Kindergarten
2.F: Blend spoken onsets and rimes to form simple words.
Also: 1.A, 1.C, 1.F, 3.D
This presentation features Lessons 9 and 10 of Book 2
from the Newitt Beginning Reading and Writing Program. The program provides a fundamental yet integrated approach to reading, writing, listening, and speaking the English language. The standards-based series of 24 books guides novice learners through a full year curriculum. Each lesson discovers, connects, and practices the basics of English.
A key feature of the program is that it uses linear incremental steps and repeated practices linked to higher level thinking skills. This approach gives the learner a solid foundation of reading and writing experiences. In the process, the learner gains routine study habits, motivation to learn, confidence, and mastery.
For more PowerPoint lessons, please click on the following links:
• Book 1: Separate Words in Sentences
• Book 2, Lessons 1–3: Identify Syllables 1
• Book 2, Lessons 4–5: Identify Syllables 1
• Book 2, Lessons 6–8: Blend Onsets & Rimes 1
• Book 3, Lessons 1–4: Identify Categories
• Book 3, Lessons 5–7: Identify Categories
• Book 3, Lessons 8–9: Identify Categories
• Book 3, Lesson 10: Identify Categories
For supporting lessons, please click on the following links:
• Book 2 printed version
• Coloring and Tracing Book 2
• More lessons on onsets and rimes
“Developmentally appropriate and challenging for all ages striving to learn English. The Newitt Beginning Reading and Writing Program will ensure success for every scholar that embarks on a path to learn the English language.”
- Dr. Patricia A. McNames, former teacher, middle school guidance counselor, elementary principal, and associate professor.