Also included in
- Need back to school icebreakers or games that get students moving, communicating, working in teams, and building relationships? Here are 50 of our favorite basic activities that are low-cost and low-prep for any classroom or subject!**Updated to include distance learning icebreaker games and activit$23.80$29.75Save $5.95
- Want to introduce STEM to your classroom? Here are 45 of our favorite basic (Stage 1) STEM challenges that are low-cost and low-prep for any classroom! Activities are perfect as back to school icebreakers or games that introduce STEM while getting students moving, communicating, and working in teams$23.68$29.60Save $5.92
Do you have a ton of newspapers and in need of some newspaper STEM challenges? Read below for three easy and progressively more challenging newspaper STEM challenges you can do right away!
These engineering design activities promote collaboration, teamwork, communication, and problem solving. This activities lay a critical foundation for more intensive STEM challenges. Working as a team, they will learn lessons in communication, innovation, hidden assumptions, and creativity that are central to the engineering process.
These three newspaper challenges are meant to be completed in a sequence of increasingly more difficult activities. First, the students build a tower, then they create a tower that can hold weight, and finally, they are given a more creative challenge of designing and building a chair to hold a student. Handouts are provided to guide students through the engineering design process.
In this packet
• Newspaper Tower Challenge: Using only a limited amount of supplies, teams build the tallest tower in a set time limit. This challenges builds a foundation of communication and problem solving.
• Hold A Weight Challenge: Time to really test the limits of the newspaper! After the first newspaper STEM challenge warm-up, teams should re-group for this longer and more complex challenge to build a tower that holds weight.
• Build A Chair Challenge: This is a more open-ended and creative challenge. Build a chair to hold up a team member for 5 seconds. Sounds easy? Students will be faced with really trying to understand the constraints of the problem and figuring out the definition of what seems to be a simple object.
**Purchase the bundle for 20% discount: 12 STEM Icebreaker Challenges
Looking for more STEM lessons? Find the Vivify resource guide here: bit.ly/VivifyResourceGuide
About STEM Challenges: Click here to learn more about the 3 Stages of STEM. STEM challenges are an engaging way to incorporate the engineering design process into your classroom or after school program! These hands-on activities allow students to work in teams, apply the engineering design process, and connect science topics to real-world applications. The teacher will provide the structure to the project, but students will take an active role in designing and building their own device.
• Click the Green ★ to follow our store and get notifications of new products and freebies
• Leave feedback to receive TpT credit for use on future purchases
• Questions? Contact us in the Product Q&A section
♥ Connect With Us ♥