Also included in
- This is a bundle for 8th Grade: NGSS Integrated Model. This bundle covers the PEs and standards for NGSS for 8th grade in California and other states using the Integrated Model for 8th grade. Purchase of this bundle will save you 20% on these resources. This is the set of resources for the NGSS Inte$124.40$155.50Save $31.10
- Students will learn about force, motion, and speed in this bundle of two of my resources. Students will understand and apply Newton's three laws of motion in hands-on labs. Students will make connections with concepts like potential and kinetic energy, speed, force, motion, and energy. Two Resources$14.00$16.00Save $2.00
In this unit, students will learn about Newton's laws of motion and will be calculating speed, distance, and time traveled. Students will participate in a hands-on lab in which they will measure the time it takes to travel a certain distance and calculate speed. Students will apply this information to Newton’s three laws of motion. This unit also touches on potential and kinetic energy. The speed equation is introduced and sample problems are included. Students will also identify variables in the experiment. This is a comprehensive unit that connects these concepts with hands-on activities that are highly engaging!
Students will love carrying out these investigations using pull-back cars. You will need a pull-back car for each group of students. These are inexpensive at a discount store or online. I suggest about 4 -5 students in a group.
A pull-back car is a great example of all three of Newton’s Laws as well as potential and kinetic energy.
This unit includes:
- Slide show Variables and Fair Tests
- Slide show on Newton’s Laws of Motion
- Calculating Speed, Time, and Distance (The Triangle Method)
- Lab with pull-back cars-four different tests
- Lab pages
- Follow-up pages
- Calculating speed practice page
- Calculating Distance and Time Traveled Page (for differentiation and challenge)
- CER on how Newton’s Laws relate to Pull-Back Toys
- Answer Keys
Supplies You Will Need:
- A pull-back car for each group (they do not need to be the same size or shape)
- Tape measure
- Scale for weighing grams
- Stopwatch (an app is fine)
- Optional car tracks (lab works with or without tracks. I like the tracks because it keeps the car moving in a straight line. You need about 3 meters of track. All the groups can use the same track.
- Masking tape
- Washer or quarter
- Fair Tests and Variables
- Recording Data
- Newton’s Three Laws of Motion
- Potential and Kinetic Energy
- How to calculate Speed
- How to calculate Time Traveled
- How to Calculate Distance
This unit will take seven days if you use every piece. The slide show on variables and fair tests is more of a review, so if your students already know this, you can skip it.
If you have questions about my resources please contact me firstname.lastname@example.org
* My resources are secure and not editable for copyright reasons. This resource is in ppt and pdf format.
These resources are created by Lynda R. Williams at Teaching Science
Follow me and get news of my new resources. Each new resource is discounted by 50% for the first 24 hours!
You will also love these units: