This unit goes in-depth to cover nouns from the most basic level (person, place, thing) to different types of nouns including common, proper, possessive, singular, and plural nouns! This unit is ideal for first grade, but also meets kindergarten standards and could be used in second grade for review
Common Core State Standards:
K - Use frequently occurring nouns and verbs.
K - Form regular plural nouns orally by adding /s/ or /es/ (e.g., dog, dogs; wish, wishes).
1 - Use common, proper, and possessive nouns.
1 - Use singular and plural nouns with matching verbs in basic sentences (e.g., He hops; We hop).
There are a variety of hands-on activities included in this unit that can be used for independent work, centers, or group work:
• My Little Book of Nouns: Make a book that helps students learn that nouns are a person, place, thing, or animal. Pages are also included for common nouns, proper nouns, and possessive nouns.
• Noun Sort: Students sort nouns/not nouns
• Common Noun/Proper Noun Sort: Sort common nouns and proper nouns
• “Nouns Around Town” Activity/Bulletin Board Display – Have students brainstorm nouns that are around town (school, park, library, etc.) They draw the noun and label it in the box. Have students make their drawings large and colorful, and outline in sharpie. Have them cut out pictures and labels, and use to create a “Nouns Around Town” display or bulletin board.
• Read, Sort, and Write the Nouns – Students read and write nouns in the correct box: person, place, thing, or animal.
• Highlight a Noun Activity – Students highlight the nouns and write them below.
• Possessive Nouns Activity: Students write the correct possessive noun to complete the sentence.
• Plural Nouns (s, es): Students practice making singular nouns plural. They write in pencil then in rainbow.
• Noun Sort: Read and sort words as a person, place, or thing.
• Common, Proper, Possessive Noun Sort: Read and sort as a common, proper, or possessive noun.
• Plural Nouns Chart(s, es, ies): Students read examples and complete the chart by adding nouns with s, es, and ies. Then they write a sentence using a plural noun.
• Plural/Singular Noun Sort: Students sort nouns as singular or plural.
• Plural/Singular Nouns Activity: Students select a singular noun, write it, write a sentence using the noun, and draw a picture. Then they select a plural noun, write it, write a sentence using the noun, and draw a picture.
I hope your students enjoy these activities! Don't forget to provide feedback! Thank you so much! :)