Common Core Aligned. Great culminating activity for the memoir Night by Elie Wiesel. Students will review actual historical headlines reporting events from the Holocaust. Students will write a synopsis of what they believe the article of each headline would have been about. Teacher leads a discussion of students' responses. After watching a video concerning the liberation of Auschwitz, students create their own headlines and write a brief article reporting the liberation of Auschwitz.
Interested in other engaging activities for Night? Over to 50% savings in this bundled pack of 10 common core aligned activities
Night Unit Activities Bundle
Visit the Night custom category at my store for other activities for the Memoir Night
Link-Night Wiesel Activites
Included in the lesson:
1. Teacher Instructions
2. Student Handouts (4 pages)
3. PPT discussion guide (11 slides)
4. Videos for student analysis (3 videos)
1. What were the public’s impressions of the Holocaust?
2. What is the impact of a headline in revealing the purpose of an article?
ACADEMIC OBJECTIVES (All Students Will Be Able To):
1. Make predictions of the contents of an article from the headline
2. Apply their knowledge from Night to describe events from an editorial point of view.
3. Create headlines and short articles that report the liberation of Auschwitz
DIRECT INSTRUCTION AND CLASSROOM ACTIVITIES:
Either in pairs or alone, have students review each of the historical headlines and write their synopsis of what they think the article would have included.
Use the PPT presentation to guide discussion of student responses and synopsis of each historical headline.
Show any of the videos below to emphasize the liberation of Auschwitz
Band of Brothers Liberation Video
The Liberation of Auschwitz (includes 1945 original Red Army footage)
Have students create their own headlines and short reports of the liberation of the Jews from Auschwitz