I have combined all of my lesson information, assignments, handouts, and agendas for weeks-worth of material. I have combined the three mini-units in order to showcase genocide within the Holocaust, its connection to the graphic novel, Maus I, followed by an introduction into the use of Propaganda within advertisements (to connect to this historical time period). For more material specific to WWII propaganda, look for my 11th/12th grade materials, focusing on persuasion and argumentative propaganda. For more details about the material within each unit, read below. Happy shopping!
Common Core Standards Note: All activities handouts have a connected page, showing all standards that the activities meet within the ELA common core strands.
- Jewish populations through the 20th/21st century
- Reading schedule
- Reading quizzes (4 parts)
- Genocide Project Presentation Guide
- Genocide Project Grade sheet
- Lesson activities: Mengele, "ghettos," US Holocaust encyl. online, musical connection to Wu Tang Clan, Parallel structure and argumentative writing techniques, "Hath not.." poetry writing, etc.
- Timeline activity, finding connections to "Night" events and Maus/WWII
- Synthesis report writing, explaining connections
- Short writing prompts/discussion questions
- "Why Pigs" graphic organizer
- Ethos/Pathos/Logos powerpoint- propaganda through advertisements
I've taught this unit with 10th graders, although it is functional for other grade levels. When I'm teaching it to upper classes, I tend to focus more on Propaganda and the use of persuasion within warfare. I have other materials for this progression so email me if interested.
Thank you for shopping!